Dr. Maria-Jose Sanchez-Ruiz completed her BA and MA in clinical psychology at the Universidad Complutense de Madrid, and her PhD in differential psychology was conducted mainly at the Institute of Education and the University College of London (UCL), and presented at the Universidad Autonoma de Madrid. She graduated with unanimous Summa Cum Laude with European mention.
Dr. Sanchez-Ruiz joined the Lebanese American University as an assistant professor of psychology in 2010 and became an associate professor in 2016. She has worked extensively with the trait emotional intelligence program at UCL, where she was recently appointed as an Honorary Senior Research Associate for her sabbatical year.
The focus of her work is in the area of personality and individual differences. She has published empirical work in reputable and indexed journals in psychology, as well as chapters on creativity, and particularly trait emotional intelligence. Some of her papers have been widely cited (“Developments in trait emotional intelligence research” published in Emotion Review, Q1). In addition, she is a regular peer-reviewer of reputable journals in psychology such as Personality and Individual Differences (Q1), and consistently disseminates her research findings at the conferences organized by the International Study of Individual Differences (ISSID).
Dr. Sanchez-Ruiz is currently working on a number of projects involving the training of adolescents and adults in emotional competencies. She is also interested in the study of the interface between cognition and emotion through correlational and experimental methods.
- Sanchez-Ruiz, M.J., Mavroveli, S., & Petrides, K.V. (in press). The Trait Emotional Intelligence Questionnaire in Lebanon and the UK: A comparison of psychometric properties. International Journal of Psychology.
- Sanchez Ruiz, M. J., & El-Khoury, J. (2019). A Model of Academic, Personality and Emotion-Related Predictors of University Academic Performance. Frontiers in Psychology, 10, 2435. DOI: 10.3389/fpsyg.2019.02435.
- Sanchez-Ruiz, M., Merhi, R., & Nicolaou, M. (2020). The role of trait emotional intelligence in appearance perception. International Journal of Adolescence and Youth, 25(1), 932-944. doi:10.1080/02673843.2020.1781216.
- Chiesi, F., Lau, C., Marunic, G., Sanchez-Ruiz, M., Plouffe, R. A., Topa, G., … Saklofske, D. H. (2020). Emotional intelligence in young women from five cultures: A TEIQue-SF invariance study using the omnicultural composite approach inside the IRT framework. Personality and Individual Differences, 164, 110128. doi:10.1016/j.paid.2020.110128.
- Sanchez-Ruiz, M. J., El-Jor, C., Kharma, J. A., Bassil, M., & Zeeni, N. (2019). Personality, emotion-related variables, and media pressure predict eating disorders via disordered eating in Lebanese university students. Eating and Weight Disorders-Studies on Anorexia, Bulimia and Obesity, 24(2), 313-322. DOI: 10.1007/s40519-017-0387-8.
- Sanchez-Ruiz, M. J., & Baaklini, A. (2018). Individual and social correlates of aggressive behavior in Lebanese undergraduates: The role of trait emotional intelligence. The Journal of Social Psychology, 158(3), 350-360. DOI: 10.1080/00224545.2017.1353476.
- Sanchez-Ruiz, M. J. (2017). Stress and Creativity. In Reference Module in Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Psychology. Elsevier. DOI: 10.1016/B978-0-12-809324-5.06281-7.
- Ayyash-Abdo, H., Sanchez-Ruiz, M. J., & Barbari, M. L. (2016). Resiliency predicts academic performance of Lebanese adolescents over demographic variables and hope. Learning and Individual Differences, 48, 9-16. DOI: 10.1016/j.pse.2016.01.005.
- Petrides, K. V., Mikolajczak, M., Mavroveli, S., Sanchez-Ruiz, M. J., Furnham, A., & Pérez-González, J. C. (2016). Developments in trait emotional intelligence research. Emotion Review, 8(4), 335-341. DOI: 1754073916650493.
- Sanchez-Ruiz M. J., Khoury J.E., Saadé G., Salkhanian M. (2016). Non-Cognitive Variables and Academic Achievement. In: Khine, M.S., Areepattamannil, S. (eds) Non-cognitive Skills and Factors in Educational Attainment. Contemporary Approaches to Research in learning Innovations. Sense Publishers; Rotterdam.
Click here for a full list of publications.
- PhD in Psychology (Europeus Mention), Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Spain.
- MA in Clinical Psychology, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain.
- BA in Psychology, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain.
Associate Professor of Psychology
Office: Block A, Office 801