Dr. Taleb studied Medical Science at the University of Western Sydney, Australia, from which he graduated with High Distinction (30th April, 2004). He received his Honours degree in Medicinal Chemistry working under the supervision of Professor Janice Aldrich-Wright at UWS (29th September, 2005). He obtained his PhD in Medicinal Chemistry on the 22nd of April, 2009 from UWS. His honours and PhD thesis focused on the design and synthesis of platinum complexes with specificity for certain DNA sequences. Dr. Taleb also has practical and theoretical experience in instrumental analysis and that includes NMR, LCMSMS, ICPMS, GCMSMS, HPLC, GC, Elemental Analysis, Mass-Spec, IR, UV, Protein Synthesiser and Circular Dichroism (CD). Dr. Taleb is a Member of the Royal Australian Chemical Institute (MRACI) and a member of the American Chemical Society (ACS). Dr. Taleb was also awarded the Commercialisation Training Postgraduate Research Award from University of Technology, Sydney on the 15th of August, 2008. Dr. Taleb joined LAU as a tenured faculty on October 2011.
Dr. Taleb is currently interested in two different aspects in chemical research, Medicinal Chemistry and Natural Products. In the medicinal chemistry field, Dr. Taleb focuses on the design, synthesis, optimisation and characterisation of organometallic platinum and ruthenium complexes. The complexes designed are expected to exhibit cytotoxicity in addition to selectivity for cancer cells. When it comes to Natural Products, Dr. Taleb is part of a highly decorated and well established group that works on extracting aqueous and oily extracts from natural products whose components are analysed before being tested for anticancer and antioxidant activities.
- Andree Elias, Wassim N. Shebaby, Bilal Nehme, Wissam Faour, Bassem S. Bassil, Joelle El Hakim, Rita Iskandar, Nahia Dib-Jalbout, Mohamad Mroueh, Costantine Daher and Robin I. Taleb, In Vitro and In Vivo Evaluation of the Anticancer and Anti-inflammatory Activities of 2-Himachelen-7-ol isolated from Cedrus Libani, Scientific Reports, 2019, 9, 12855. DOI: 10.1038/s41598-019-49374-9.
- Stephanie Mehanna, Najwa Mansour, Hassib Audi, Kikki Bodman-Smith, Mohamad Mroueh, Robin I. Taleb, Costantine Daher and Rony S. Khnayzer, Enhanced Cellular Uptake and Photochemotherapeutic Potential of a Lipophilic Strained Ru(II) Polypyridyl Complex, RSC Advances, 2019, 9, 17254-17265. DOI: 10.1039/c9ra02615k.
- Robin I. Taleb, Paul Najm, Wassim Shebaby, Joelle C. Boulos, Sally Demirdjian, Essa Hariri, Mirvat El-Sibai, Costantine Daher and Mohamad Mroueh, β-2-Himachalen-6-ol: A Novel Anticancer Sesquiterepene Unique to the Lebanese Wild Carrot, Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 2016, 190, 59-67. DOI: 10.1016/j.jep.2016.05.053.
- Essa Hariri, Martine Abboud, Sally Demirdjian, Samira Korfali, Mohamad Mroueh and Robin I. Taleb, Carcinogenic and Neurotoxic Risks of Acrylamide and Heavy Metals Consumed through Potato/Corn Chips among the Lebanese Population, Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, 2015, 42, 91-97. DOI:10.1016/j.jfca.2015.03.009.
- Taleb, R. I.; Jaramillo, D.; Wheate N. J.; Aldrich-Wright, J. R. Synthesis of DNA sequence selective hairpin polyamide platinum anticancer agents, Chem.– A Eur. J. 2007, 13, 3177-3186.
- PhD, Doctor of Philosophy, University of Western Sydney, 2009
- Commercialization Training Postgraduate, Research Award, University of Technology, Sydney, 2008
- Bachelor of Medical Science, Honors Class I, University of Western Sydney, 2005
- Bachelor of Medical Science, Distinction, University of WesternSydney, 2004
Associate Professor of Chemistry
Assistant Dean, School of Arts and Sciences
Office: Block A, Room 814