Hussein F. Hassan
Dr. Hussein Hassan is associate professor of Food Science and Technology. He was also the associate chairperson of the Department of Natural Sciences. Dr. Hassan received his BSc and MSc in Food Technology from the American University of Beirut and his PhD in Food Process Engineering from McGill University, Canada. He is the recipient of the George Stewart International Competition Award (2011) by the Institute of Food Technologists (USA), in addition to the Stumbo Paper Competition Award (twice in 2010 and 2011) by the Institute of Food Thermal Processing Specialists, USA.
Dr. Hassan’s research interests revolve around the area of non-microbial food safety, food processing, and food waste. This includes assessing the effects of processing technologies on the quality of locally made foods, identifying/preventing the occurrence of toxic residues in foods marketed in Lebanon, and determining/characterizing the food waste in the country. Dr. Hassan’s research has been published and presented so far in more than thirty international journals and scientific meetings.
In addition, Dr. Hassan is a consultant and trainer in several local and international organizations, including Quality Unit of the Lebanese Ministry of Economy, Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), USAID, Save the children, Mercy Corps, among others.
Apart from his passion in teaching and research, Dr. Hassan is an activist in his hometown, Baalbeck, where he co-founded and currently presides the Lebanese Association of Coexistence and Development. In addition, he enjoys traveling, hiking and community service. His motto is “better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.”
- Jomana El Aridi, Hani Dimassi, Maria Estephan, Hussein Hassan. 2020. Determination of Aluminum, Chromium and Barium Content in Infant Formula Marketed in Lebanon. Journal of Food Protection, 83 (10), 1738-1744 (Q1).
- Elaridi J., Dimassi H. and Hassan H. 2019. Aflatoxin M1 and ochratoxin A in baby formulae marketed in Lebanon: Occurrence and safety evaluation. Food Control, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2019.06.006 (Q1).
- L. Mattar, M. G. Abiad, A. Chalak, M. Diab, H. Hassan. 2018. Attitudes and behaviors shaping household food waste generation: Lessons from Lebanon. Journal of Cleaner Production 198: 1219-1223 (Q1).
- Hassan H., and Dimassi H. 2018. Self-reported food safety knowledge and practices of Lebanese food handlers in Lebanese households.British Food Journal; doi: 10.1108/BFJ-04-2017-0239 (Q1).
- Jomana Elaridi, Maya Bassil, Joelle Abi Kharma, Farah Daou, Hussein F. Hassan. 2017. Analysis of Aflatoxin M1 in Breast Milk and Its Association with Nutritional and Socio-economic Status of Lactating Mothers in Lebanon. Journal of Food Protection 80: 1737-1741 (Q1).
- Hassan H., Dimassi H. and El Amin R. 2015. Survey and Analysis of Internal Temperatures of Lebanese Domestic Refrigerators, International Journal of Refrigeration 50, 165-171 (Q1).
- Hassan H. and Kassaify Z. 2014. The Risks Associated with Aflatoxins M1 Occurrence in Lebanese Dairy Products, Food Control 37, 68-72 (Q1).
- Hassan H. and Dimassi H. 2014. Food safety and handling knowledge and practices of Lebanese university students, Food Control 40, 127-133(Q1).
- Hassan H. and Ramaswamy H. 2013. Bio-Validation of Bi-axial Rotary Thermal Processing, LWT, Food Science and Technology 53, 418-425 (Q1).
- Hassan H. F. and Ramaswamy H. 2011. Measurement and targeting of thermophysical properties of carrot and meat based alginate particles for thermal processing applications. Journal of Food Engineering 107, 117-126 (Q1).
Click here for the full list of publications.
International Conferences (since 2015)
- L. Mattar, MG Abiad, A. Chalak, M. Diab and H. Hassan, Attitudes and Behaviors Shaping Household Food Waste Generation: Lessons From Lebanon, Annual Meeting of the Institute of Food Technologists, New Orleans, LO, USA, June 2-5, 2019.
- Poster: Hassan H., Bassil M., Aridi J. Dimassi, H. Analysis of Aflatoxin M1 in Breast Milk and Its Association with Nutritional and Socio-economic Status of Lactating Mothers in Lebanon, International Association for Food Protection (IAFP)’s European Symposium on Food Safety, Stockholm, Sweden, April 2018.
- Poster: Hassan H. and Dimassi, H. Self-reported food safety knowledge and practices of Lebanese food handlers in Lebanese households, International Association for Food Protection (IAFP) Annual Meeting, Tampa, USA, July 2017.
- Poster: Hassan H., El Aridi J. and Bassil M., Evaluation of Gluten in Gluten-Free Labeled Foods & Assessment of Exposure Level to Gluten among Celiac Patients in Lebanon, International Union of Food Science and Technology (IUFoST) Annual Meeting, Dublin, Ireland, August 2016.
- Poster: Hassan H. and Dimassi, H. Usage and Understanding of Food Labels among Lebanese Supermarket Shoppers, Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) Annual Meeting, Chicago, USA, July 2015.
- PhD in Food Science and Agricultural Chemistry, 2011, McGill University, Canada
- MSc in Food Technology, 2007, American University of Beirut, Lebanon
- BSc in Nutrition and Dietetics, 2005, American University of Beirut, Lebanon
Hussein F. Hassan
Associate Professor of Food Science and Technology
Office: Block A 818/Nicol Hall 527