Minor in English
The Minor in English aims to provide you with various majors with the opportunity to advance your understanding of literature, language, and professional creative writing.
What Will I Learn?
When you graduate with a Minor in English, you will be able to:
- apply knowledge of literary texts, language theories, and basic professional creative writing
- interpret, explain, and appraise the allusive qualities of texts
- apply knowledge of thematic content and the formal features of discourse ethically and professionally
- analyze texts from multiple points of view in the context of history, society, culture, and politics
- display substantial knowledge in literature study, language study, or professional creative writing
- produce individual scholarly research projects of significant length
Core Courses (9 credits)
|ENG213||Introduction to Language||3|
|ENG216||Introduction to Literature||3|
|ENG—-||Any writing course*||3|
*Students may select a writing course from the electives below, and this would be counted as one of the core courses.
Elective Courses (9 credits)
Students may choose any three courses from the list below. Close advising is recommended to ensure that the student’s minor is coherent when it comes to literature, language, or professional creative writing.
|ENG326||Restoration and Neoclassical Literature||3|
|ENG336||Romantic & Victorian Poetry||3|
|ENG339||Nineteenth-century British Novel||3|
|ENG342||Modernism and Beyond||3|
|ENG345||Twentieth-century British Novel||3|
|ENG348||Post-colonial Anglophone Literature||3|
|ENG351||Early American Literature||3|
|ENG352||Twentieth-Century American Novel||3|
|ENG354||Theories of Literature & Culture||3|
|ENG372||Comparative and World Literature||3|
|ENG376||Gender in Literature||3|
|ENG479||Topics in Literature and Culture||3|
|ENG487||Topics in Drama and Theatre||3|
|ENG281||Language and Change||3|
|ENG282||Language and the Media||3|
|ENG283||Language and Gender||3|
|ENG308||Semantics and Pragmatics||3|
|ENG380||Language and the Law||3|
|ENG480||Discourse and Power||3|
|ENG301||Food Writing and Traveling||3|
|ENG304||Arts and Fashion Writing||3|
|ENG305||Music and Performing Arts Criticism||3|
|ENG410||Writing for International Organizations||3|
This program requires 18 credits.
This minor is offered in Beirut and Byblos.