In line with the LAU Mission, the Writing Center is devoted to academic excellence and student-centeredness. The Center aims at promoting a general culture of writing at the University, at enhancing writing across the curriculum, and at helping students develop as more thoughtful, independent, and rhetorically effective writers. The writing center is composed of three main units that collectively help fulfilling its mission: A mentorship unit that includes the tutor’s room and the writer’s room; writing across the curriculum unit; and a workshop unit. Each unit caters to the internal LAU community and provides external consultancy services.
Writing Center Units
The Tutor’s Room
- Student is referred by the instructor.
- Student receives a formative assessment report that details weaknesses and areas of improvement.
- Tutor works with the student in order to remediate his/her writing difficulties, whether in punctuation, grammar and usage, spelling, style and tone, or organization.
The Writer’s Room
- Provide editing services for students who are already excellent writer.
Writing Across the Curriculum Unit
- Incorporate writing and speaking assignments into select courses at all levels and in all disciplines.
- Students meet in groups with a consultant, who helps them talk through their writing processes for the most discipline-related project or laboratory.
- Successful lab reports
- How to paraphrase and use your own words
- How to improve your style, grammar and punctuation
- How to make your presentation slides clear and dynamic
- Creating research posters
- Researching and writing literature reviews and citing published research
- Writing a personal statement for graduate school
- Writing graduate proposals and thesis
- Writing statement of current and future research
- Nicol 401, Beirut campus
- Block A, Room 408, Byblos Campus
Visit our booth at the LAU Library
- Riyad Nassar Library 1300, Beirut campus
- Joseph G. Jabbra Library L2, Byblos campus
- Dr. Rony Khnayzer - Writing Center Director firstname.lastname@example.org
- Maya Akiki - Writing Center Coordinator email@example.com