Mission, Objectives, and Learning Outcomes
Being the most recent and forceful expression of LAU’s legacy as the first institution of higher learning for women in the Arab world, and as a concrete embodiment of LAU’s value of promoting gender equality and inclusiveness, the M.A. in Interdisciplinary Gender Studies provides students with quality, interdisciplinary education that integrates gender in all fields of study (such as conflict resolution, diplomacy, human rights, health, education, politics, business, medicine, and others) and highlights the importance of gender in understanding issues related to social change, social justice, human rights, gender inequalities, etc. The M.A. program in IGS has the added value of being offered at an institution of higher education which is located in the Arab world and where the academic freedom to tackle sensitive issues related to women and gender is unparalleled in the region.
Program Educational Objectives (PEO)
- Acquire theoretical knowledge, interdisciplinary competencies, and practical skills needed to pursue post-graduate work in gender studies or other related fields.
- Develop opportunities for continuous professional development and leadership.
- Pursue careers in governmental and non-governmental organizations, ministries, as well as national, regional, and international agencies with good communication and teamwork skills.
Program Learning Outcomes (PLO)
Upon successful completion of the program, students should be able to:
- Analyze critically the major theories and concepts in gender studies and the various research methodologies appropriate to inter-disciplinary inquiry.
- Evaluate recent advances in gender issues and their impact on society.
- Analyze complex gender issues while integrating a gender perspective into a variety of academic disciplines and professional endeavors.
- Explore the intersectionality of gender, race, ethnicity, class, age, disability, and sexuality.
- Generate analytical reports and policy briefs, and give public presentations
- Work effectively as team members in order to design, develop, and implement awareness campaigns.