Tamirace Fakhoury is an Assistant Professor of Political Science and International Affairs in the Social Sciences Department in Byblos. In summer 2012 and 2013, she was appointed as visiting lecturer at University of California in Berkeley (UCB). Fakhoury is a Global Policy Migration Associate at GMPA, Geneva (http://www.globalmigrationpolicy.org/index.html).
From 2003 to 2007, she was a scientific researcher at the Arnold Bergstraesser Institute for socio-political research in Freiburg, Germany. Before her appointment as an assistant professor at LAU in fall 2011, she was a research fellow in charge of the socio-political module in the CARIM project at the Robert Schuman Center for Advanced Studies at the European University Institute (EUI) in Florence, Italy. In 2010/2011, Fakhoury earned the Jean Monnet fellowship (Vincent Wright Fellowship in Comparative Politics) at the EUI. In spring 2011, she was appointed as a visiting postdoctoral scholar at the Center for Middle Eastern Studies at UCB.
Her core research and publication areas are: democratization and comparative modes of governance in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region; power-sharing in divided societies; migration governance in the Euro-Arab Mediterranean zone; the Arab world transnational communities and their role in political development.
In her spare time, she writes poetry, and has had several books and articles published over the years. She has been selected for the “Belles Etrangères” in 2007 (Centre National du Livre, Paris)
- Fakhoury, Tamirace (2014). “Transnational Immigrant Narratives on Arab Democracy: The Case of Student Associations at UC Berkeley,” International Migration, 1-14, DOI: 10.1111/imig.12164
- Fakhoury, Tamirace (2014). “Do Power-Sharing Systems Behave Differently amid Regional Uprisings? Lebanon in the Arab Protest Wave,” Middle East Journal, 68 (4): 505-520
- Fakhoury, Tamirace (2014). “Debating Lebanon’s Power-Sharing Model: An Opportunity or an Impasse for Democratization Studies in the Middle East?” The Arab Studies Journal 22 (1): 230-255.
- Fakhoury, Tamirace (2014). “The EU and Lebanon in the Wake of the Arab Uprisings,” Middle East Policy, 21 (1): 133-143
- Fakhoury, Tamirace. (2009). Democracy and Power-Sharing in Stormy Weather: the Case of Lebanon. (Wiesbaden: VS Verlag for Social Sciences) (Monograph)
- Marcel, Baumann; Fakhoury, Tamirace; and Tramontin, Leslie. (2009). Prophetenbeleidigung? Die Mohamad-Karikaturen und die Aktualität des religiösen Konfliktpotentials. (En: Prophets’ Defamation ? The Mohammad Caricatures and their Religious Conflict Potential), Freiburg im Breisgau: Freiburger Schriften für Entwicklung und Politik
- Fakhoury, Tamirace. (2011). “Lebanon against the backdrop of the 2011 Arab Uprisings: sectarian chains and divided Loyalties,” New Global Studies 5, 1, article 4, available at http://www.bepress.com/ngs
- Fakhoury, Tamirace. (2010). “The Difficult Conceptualisation of Circular Migration between the EU and the MENA Region,” Journal of Identity and Migration Studies 4.
- Fakhoury, Tamirace. (2007). “The July War and its Effects on Lebanon’s Power-Sharing: The challenge of pacifying a divided society,” in Journal of Peace, Conflict and Development 10.
- Fakhoury, Tamirace. (2012). “Highly Skilled Emigration from the Arab and Sub-Saharan Regions: an inquiry into push factors, policies and Diasporas’ contributions to development,” Migration Policy Center Research Reports (Florence: European University Institute Publications), http://cadmus.eui.eu/bitstream/handle/1814/23501/MPC-RR-2012-05.pdf
- Fakhoury, Tamirace. (2012). “The EU’s Global Approach to Migration (GAM): A useful policy frame in the EU-Arab Mediterranean context?” in Framework for Economic Development in EU’s External Relations, edited by Karolina Podstawa and Laura Puccio (Florence: Publications of the Law Department at the European University Institute).
- Fakhoury, Tamirace. (2008). “Lebanon’s Versatile Nationalism,” Robert Schuman Center for Advanced Studies Publications 2008/13 (Florence: European University Institute), http://cadmus.eui.eu/dspace/bitstream/1814/8507/1/RSCAS_2008_13.pdf
Chapters in Books
- Alessandra, Venturini; Fakhoury, Tamirace; and Jouant, Nathalie. (2010). “EU Migration Policy towards Arab Mediterranean Countries and its Expected Impact in their Labour Market”, in Labour Markets Performance and Migration Flows in Arab Mediterranean Countries: Determinants and Effects. Eds. Philippe Fargues and Ivan Martin (European Commission, Directorate-General for Economic and Financial Affairs: European Economy Occasional Papers 60) (in 3 volumes) available from: http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/publications/occasional_paper/2010/pdf/ocp60_1_en.pdf.
- Fakhoury, Tamirace. (2009). “Scenarios of Circular Migration in the Southern and Eastern Mediterranean Region: some conceptual and policy-making considerations”, Mediterranean Migration Report. Ed. Philippe Fargues. (Florence: European University Institute Publications)
- Ph.D. in Political Sciences from the Albert Ludwigs University of Freiburg
- Master Degree in International Affairs from the Lebanese American University in Beirut.
Assistant Professor of Political Science and International Affairs
Office: Block A, Office 803 B