Myriam El Khoury-Malhame
Dr. Myriam El Khoury-Malhame is an assistant professor of psychology in the Department of Social Sciences at LAU.
She strongly advocates the bi-directional connections between biology and psychology, as the brain remains the most understudied organ in psychology. It shapes personality and influences health as well as physical and mental illness. She has combined both approaches in her trainings as a clinical psychologist and a cognitive neuroscientist.
She worked for her doctoral studies under the supervision of David Servan-Schreiber and Stephanie Khalfa, examining the cortico-limbic, physiological and clinical markers of PTSD and explored how EMDR psychotherapy improves PTSD symptoms by restoring brain structure and function.
Her research interests include bio-psychological basis of stress, trauma and anxiety disorders, emotions, cognitive and attention bias, fear conditioning, addiction, resilience, attachment, and integrating spirituality to the cognitive behavioral affective triad.
She also specializes in CBT and EMDR in adult outpatients suffering anxiety and depression. She works at promoting the daily use and mastery of novel effective stress management techniques such as mindfulness, EFT and heart coherence for normal and pathological populations, in individual and/or group setting.
*CBT Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
*EMDR Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing
*EFT Emotional Freedom Technique
- Rousseau PF., El Khoury-Malhame M, Reynaud E, Boukezzi S, Cancel A, Zendjidjian X, Guyon V, Samuelian JC, Guedj E, Chaminade T & Khalfa S. Fear extinction learning improvement in PTSD after EMDR; an fMRI study. European Journal of Psychotraumatology, 2019; 10: 1-11.
- Rousseau PF., El Khoury-Malhame M., Reynaud E., Boukezzi S., Cancel A., Richard E., Zendjidjian X., Guyon V., Samuelian JC., Guedj E., Chaminade T. and Khalfa S. Neurobiological correlates of EMDR therapy in PTSD. European Journal of Trauma and Dissociation. 2018 (Accepted)
- Boukezzi S., El-Khoury-Malhame M., Auzias G., Reynaud E., Rousseau P-F., Richard E., Zendjidjian X., Roques J., Castelli N., Correard N., Guyon V., Gellato C., Samuelian J-C., Cancel A., Comte M., Latinus M., Guedj E., Khalfa S. Grey Matter density change of structure in PTSD after recovery following EMDR therapy. Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging 2017; 146-152
- El Khoury-Malhame, M., Reynaud, E., Beetz E.M. and Khalfa S. Restoration of Emotional control ability in PTSD Following Symptom Amelioration by EMDR therapy. European Journal of Trauma & Dissociation, 2017; 1:73-79
- Wurtz, H., El Khoury-Malhame, M., Wilhem, F., Michael, T., Beetz, EM., Roques, J., Reynaud, E. Courtin, J., Khalfa, S. and Herry, C. Preventing long-lasting fear recovery using bilateral alternating sensory stimulation: a translational study. Neuroscience, 2015; 321:222-35.
- Reynaud, E., Guedj, E., Trousselard, M., El Khoury-Malhame, M., Zendjidjian, X., Fakra, E., Souville, M., Nazarian, B., Blin, O., Canini, F. and Khalfa, S. Acute stress disorder modifies cerebral activity of amygdala and prefrontal cortex. Cognitive Neuroscience, 2015; 6(1):39-43.
- Reynaud, E., Guedj, E., Souville, M., Trousselard, M., Zendjidjian, X., El Khoury-Malhame, M., Fakra, E., Nazarian, B., Blin, O., Canini, F. and Khalfa, S. Relationship between emotional experience and resilience: an fMRI study in fire fighters. Neuropsychologia, 2013; 51(5):845-849.
- Reynaud, E., El Khoury-Malhame, M., Blin, O and Khalfa, S. Neuroticism modifies psychophysiological responses. PlosONE, 2012;7(3)
- Reynaud, E., El Khoury-Malhame, M., Blin, O and Khalfa, S. Voluntary emotion suppression modifies psychophysiological responses to film. Journal of Psychophysiology, 2012; 26(3): 116-123
- El Khoury-Malhame, M., Reynaud, E., Soriano, A., Keller, M., Salgado, P., Zendjidjian, X., Gellato, C., Fakra, E., Lefebvre, MN., Rouby, F., Samuelian, JC., Anton, JL., Blin, O. and Khalfa, S. Neurofunctional Alteration of Emotional Face Processing Correlates with Attentional Bias in PTSD. Neuropsychologia, 2011; 49 (7): 1969-73.
- El Khoury-Malhame, M., Lanteaume, L., Grosse, EM., Roques, J., Reynaud, E., Samuelian, JC., Blin, O. and Khalfa, S. Attentional Bias in PTSD Vanishes After Symptom Amelioration. Journal of Behavior Research & Therapy, 2011; 49(11): 796-801.
- Khalfa, S., Granier, JP., Reynaud, E., El Khoury-Malhame M., Grosse, EM., Samuelian, JC. and Blin, O. Pure-tone auditory thresholds are decreased in depressed people with post-traumatic stress disorder. Journal of Affective Disorder, 2010; 127:169-176.
- PhD in Neurosciences/Neuropsychology. Central and Peripheral mechanisms involved in PTSD and its treatment by CBT and EMDR. University Aix Marseille II. 2011
- MSc in Biology, in collaboration with the Psychiatry and Psychology departments. American University of Beirut. 2006
- BSc in Biology, with a minor in Psychology. American University of Beirut. 2003
Myriam El Khoury-Malhame
Assistant Professor of Psychology
Office: Block A, Office 803 A