Dr. Imad Salamey is associate professor of Political Science and International Affairs, associate chair of the Department of Social Sciences, and director of the Institute for Social Justice and Conflict Resolution (ISJCR) at the Lebanese American University (LAU).
Salamey is the book author of The Decline of Nation-States after the Arab Spring: the Rise of Communitocracy (Routledge, 2017) and editor of Post-Conflict Power-Sharing Agreements: Options for Syria (Palgrave, 2018). His research examines the root cause of rising ethnic and sectarian polarization, and corresponding proliferation of transnational extremism in the MENA countries. He is a senior policy and program evaluation consultant for various governments and international organizations on issues related to the Middle East’s sectarian relations, democratic transitions, Islamist movements, power sharing, and conflict resolution.
- Salamey, Imad; Abu Nimer, Mohammed; Abouaoun, Elie. 2018. Post-Conflict Power-Sharing Agreements: Options for Syria. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Salamey, Imad; Salamey, Imad; Abu Nimer, Mohammed; Abouaoun, Elie. 2018. “Comparative Post-Conflict Power Sharing Models for Syria” in Post-Conflict Power-Sharing Agreements: Options for Syria, eds. Salamey, Imad; Abu Nimer, Mohammed; Abouaoun, Elie. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Salamey, Imad and Rizk Samuel. 2018. “Ways Forward for Syria” in Post-Conflict Power-Sharing Agreements: Options for Syria, eds. Salamey, Imad; Abu Nimer, Mohammed; Abouaoun, Elie. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Salamey, Imad. 2017. The Decline of Nation-States after the Arab Spring: the Rise of Communitocracy. London: Routledge.
- Salamey, Imad. 2016. “The Double Movement & Post-Arab Spring Consociationalism”. The Muslim World, 105(3):187-203.
- Salamey, Imad. “Technology-induced innovation in the making and consolidation of Arab democracy”. In State Power 2.0: Authoritarian Entrenchment and Political Engagement Worldwide, eds. Hussain, Muzammil and Howard, Philip. Ashgate Publishing (2013).
- Salamey, Imad and Hussein, Muzammil. “Sectarian Minorities and Democratic Transition in the Middle East”. In the 10th edition of the IEMed Mediterranean Yearbook, Med (2013).
- Salamey, Imad. “Mitigating the Resource Curse for Extractive Industry: the Case of Lebanon”. Oil, Gas, and Energy Law Intelligence, 11 (3) [Online].
- Salamey, Imad “The Crisis of Consociational Democracy in Beirut: Conflict Transformation and Sustainability through Electoral Reform”. In Urban Sustainability: Perspective, eds. Vojnovic, Igor Z. Lansing: Michigan State University Press. pp. 177-198.
- Salamey, Imad and Tabar, Paul “Democratic Transition and Sectarian Populism: The Case of Lebanon”, Contemporary Arab Affairs, 5(4), 37-41 (Oct. 2012).
- Salamey, Imad “The Many Colors of the Arab Spring”. Columbia’s Journal of International Affairs. [Online] http://jia.sipa.columbia.edu/many-colors-%E2%80%98arab-spring%E2%80%99 (August 2012).
- Salamey, Imad and Pearson, Frederic “The collapse of Middle Eastern Authoritarianism: Breaking the Barriers of Fear and Power”, Third World Quarterly 33(5) 931-948 (May 2012).
- Baroudi, Sami and Salamey, Imad “US-French collaboration on Lebanon: How Syria’s role in Lebanon and the Middle East contributed to a US-French Convergence” The Middle East Journal, 65(3) 398 - 425 (Aug. 2011).
- Salamey, Imad and Othman, Zanoubia “Shi’a Revival and Welayat El-Faqih in the Making of Iranian Foreign Policy”, Politics, Religion & Ideology, 12(2) 197 - 212 (Jul. 2011).
- Salamey, Imad and Copeland, Gary “How Exceptional Are Islamists? Comparing Supports for Hezbollah and the Lebanese Forces”, Journal of Balkan and Near Eastern Studies, 13(2) 157 - 175 (June 2011).
- Salamey, Imad “Failing Consociationalism in Lebanon & Integrative Options”, International Journal of Peace Studies 14(2) 83 - 105 (2009).
- Royce Hutson, Athena Kolbe, Ted Haines, Bernadette Stringer, Harry Shannon, and Imad Salamey Testing Received Wisdom: Perceptions of Security in Southern Lebanon. In Small Arms Survey 2009: Shadows of War, Small Arms Survey (eds). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press (2009).
- Salamey, Imad and Payne, Rhys “Parliamentary Consociationalism in Lebanon: Equal Citizenry vs. Quotated Confessionalism”, Journal of Legislative Studies 14(4): 451-473 (Dec. 2008).
- Salamey, Imad and Tabar, Paul “Consociational Democracy and Urban Sustainability: Bridging the Confessional Divides in Beirut”, Journal of Ethnopolitics 7(2): 239-263 (Sep. 2008).
- Salamey, Imad and Pearson, Frederic, “Hezbollah: A Proletarian Party with an Islamic Manifesto - A Sociopolitical Analysis of Islamist Populism in Lebanon and the Middle East”, Journal of Small Wars & Insurgencies, 18(3): 416-438 (2007).
- Salamey, Imad and Pearson, Fredric “The Crisis of Federalism and Electoral Strategies in Iraq”, International Studies Perspectives, 6(2): 155-305 (2005).
Selected Studies and Reports
- James Morton, Richard Burge, and Imad Salamey, Evaluation of the Arab Partnership Fund (110 million GBP). An independent evaluation of political, economic and security trends that shape Arab transition and effectiveness of UK aid, on behalf of the UK Government.
- Imad Salamey, UAE Regional Threat Analysis. Risk assessment and conflict simulation, on behalf of UAE Ministry of Defense.
- Imad Salamey, Mapping the impact of Syrian refugee influx on Lebanese host communities. A Political Economy Analysis, on behalf of Foreign Ministry of Netherlands.
- Cecilie Hellestveit and Imad Salamey, Analysis of the Petroleum Sector in Lebanon, by International Law and Policy Institute, on behalf of Norwegian’s Oil for Development program.
- Ghada Khouri and Imad Salamey”Lebanon Democracy and Governance Report,” Management Systems International on behalf of USAID/Lebanon.
- Alistair Harris, Taylor Long, and Imad Salamey “Progress and Potential: A nationally representative telephone survey of Lebanese perceptions of the Internal Security Forces (ISF)”. Survey research and data analysis study by Pursue LTD and the Center for Arab Research and Development (CARD).
- Imad Salamey and Taylor Long “Lebanese Perceptions of Palestinians in Lebanon and the Role of LAF”. Survey research and data analysis study by Pursue LTD and the Center for Arab Research and Development (CARD).
- Imad Salamey “Building the Capacity of Lebanese Internal Security Forces on Juvenile Justice”. A research based assessment report sponsored by the Embassy of the Netherlands and the Center for Arab Research and Development (CARD).
- Imad Salamey and Paul Tabar “Opinion Study in Beirut and Suburbs Reveals the Foreign Impacts on the Formation of the Lebanese National Identity” (Beirut: Annahar) in Arabic.A study based on an urban based public opinion survey. Also in English (Beirut: Daily Star) March 19, 2007.
- Imad Salamey and Paul Tabar “Opinion Study in Beirut and Suburbs Reveals the Demographic Dynamic of Political Division between Supporters of March 8th and 14th Alliance” (Beirut: Annahar) in Arabic.A study based on an urban based public opinion survey.
- Rhys Payne, Oliver Wilcox, & Imad Salamey, “Lebanon Parliament Assessment”. Burlington, Vermont: ARD Inc. USAID’s Bureau of Democracy, Conflict and Humanitarian Assistance/Office of Democracy and Governance, USAID’s Asia and Near East Bureau, and USAID/Lebanon (2006).
- Rhys Payne, Mary Noel Pepys, Imad Salamey, Kate Somvongsiri, “Lebanon Rule of Law Assessment”. Burlington, Vermont: ARD Inc. USAID’s Bureau of Democracy, Conflict and Humanitarian Assistance/Office of Democracy and Governance, USAID’s Asia and Near East Bureau, and USAID/Lebanon (2006).
Ph.D. in Political Science, 2003, Wayne State University, USA.
Associate Professor of Political Science and International Affairs
Associate Chair, Department of Social Sciences
Office: OGB 517