Dr. Gareth Davey is a visiting professor in the Department of Social Sciences at LAU. Trained in psychology, anthropology, and zoology, he has a wide experience in teaching and research. His research adopts a broad, interdisciplinary, and mixed methods approach to studying people holistically as biological-cultural-psychological-social wholes living in their environment.
His current research projects lay along two intersecting axes:
- Health and illness: Addictions (tobacco use), global public health, health psychology, mental health, psychotherapy, sociology of health and illness, social development, and subjective quality of life (e.g. happiness and subjective wellbeing).
- Environment and society: animal welfare, environmental psychology, human dimensions of wildlife, and visitor studies.
In Lebanon, his career goal is to work collaboratively with colleagues to position psychology and social sciences in LAU as a hub of national and international excellence including world-class teaching and research beneficial locally and internationally.
- Selin, H. & Davey, G. (2012). Happiness across cultures: Views of happiness and quality of life in non-Western cultures. New York: Springer. (Ed.)
- Davey, G. (2008). The international student’s survival guide: How to get the most from studying at a UK university. London: SAGE.
- Davey, G. & Zhao, X. (forthcoming). Lay understandings of health among Dai Lue in Xishuangbanna, China. Asia Pacific Journal of Anthropology.
- Khor, M. M., Davey, G., & Zhao, X. (forthcoming). Why do people feed stray cats? The role of anticipated regret in an extended theory of planned behaviour in Malaysia. Anthrozoös.
- Zhao, X. & Davey, G. (2017). Limited awareness of animal influenza prevention and control among Dai Lue smallholder farmers in Southwest China. Tropical Animal Health and Production, 49, 1369–1375.
- Zhao, X. & Davey, G. (2015). Contesting modernity: Tobacco use and romanticism among older Dai farmers in Xishuangbanna, China. Sociology of Health & Illness, 37, 8, 1173-90.
- Lee, W. N. & Davey, G. (2015). Chinese visitors’ experiences of nature and wild macaques: Inspiration and personal growth for living in Hong Kong. Human Dimensions of Wildlife, 20, 3, 206-219.
- Davey, G., McClenahan, C., & Zhao, X. (2014). Smoking intention among Chinese youth and implications for health interventions. Asia Pacific Journal of Counselling and Psychotherapy, 5, 1, 71-86.
- Bitgood, S., Davey, G., Huang, X. & Fung, H. (2013). Pedestrian choice behavior at shopping mall intersections in China and the United States. Environment & Behavior, 45, 8, 1019-1032.
- Li, P. J. & Davey, G. (2013). Culture, reform politics and future directions: A review of China’s animal protection challenge. Society & Animals, 21, 1, 34–53.
- Davey, G. & Zhao, X. (2012). ‘A real man smells of tobacco smoke’—Chinese youth’s interpretation of smoking imagery in film. Social Science & Medicine, 74, 10, 1552-1559.
- Davey, G. & Rato, R. (2012). Subjective wellbeing in China: A review. Journal of Happiness Studies, 13, 2, 333-346.
- Rato, R. & Davey, G. (2012). Quality of life in Macau, China. Social Indicators Research, 105, 1, 93-108.
- Yu, C. K.-C., Fu, W., Zhao, X. & Davey, G. (2010). Public understanding of counsellors and counselling in Hong Kong. Asia Pacific Journal of Counselling and Psychotherapy, 1, 1, 47-54.
- Chan, K-B. & Davey, G. (2010). When worlds collide: Scientists doing science in the social world. Asian Journal of Social Science, 38, 4, 611-635.
- Chen, X., Zhou, H., Zhao, J. & Davey, G. (2010). Home literacy experiences and literacy acquisition among children in Guangzhou, South China. Psychological Reports, 107, 2, 354-366.
- Davey, G. (2010). Visual Anthropology: Strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats. Visual Anthropology, 23, 4, 344-352.
Book Chapters/Encyclopedia Entries
- Davey, G. (2017). Rural-urban migration, social identity, and life quality of the Badaga people in South India. In: Identity flexibility during adulthood: Perspectives on adult development. New York: Springer. Editor: Jan D. Sinnott.
- Zhao, X., & Davey, G. (2017). 傣乡草烟风俗考察漫记 [A note on smoking traditions in Dai villages]. In:共饮一江水 [Nourished by the same river] (pp. 175-178). Beijing: China Culture Publishing House. Editor: Xishuangbanna Committee of Cultural and Historical Data. [in Chinese]
- Davey, G. (2016). Epidemics. In Encyclopedia of Chinese History. London: Routledge.
- Davey, G. (2016). National People’s Congress. In Encyclopedia of Chinese History. London: Routledge.
- Davey, G. (2016). Special Economic Zones. In Encyclopedia of Chinese History. London: Routledge.
- Davey, G. (2014). Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. In Cultural Sociology of Mental Illness: An A-to-Z Guide. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications.
- Davey, G. (2014). China. In Cultural Sociology of Mental Illness: An A-to-Z Guide. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications.
- Davey, G. & Rato, R. (2014). Macau Administrative Region. In Encyclopedia of Quality of Life Research. New York: Springer.
- Davey, G. (2013). Psychotherapy for children. In Cultural Sociology of Divorce. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications.
- Davey, G. (2013). Substance abuse in children of divorce. In Cultural Sociology of Divorce. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications.
Professional Magazines & Popular Writing
- Zhao, X., & Davey, G. (2017). 老年人戒烟的心理锦囊 [Psychological strategies for older adults to quit smoking]. Psychology & Health, 2, 23-24. [in Chinese]
- Davey, G., & Zhao, X. (2015). An overview of therapy in China. Therapy Today, 26, 7, 12-15.
- Davey, G., & Zhao, X. (2012). Counselling in China. Therapy Today, 23, 9, 12-17.
- Davey, G. (2008, March 18). Preparing to study abroad. Bangkok Post. Tuesday, p.31.
- Davey, G. (2007, January). Ethical travel in China. Transitions Abroad, 46-47.
- Davey, G (2006). Giant Panda Conservation. Biological Sciences Review, 19, 26-29.
- Dai, T., Davey, G., & Higgins, L. (2006). Rural-urban migration in China. Geography Review.
- Davey, G., & Higgins, L. (2006). China’s dreaded university entrance exams. China Review. 36, 5
- Davey, G., & Higgins, L. (2006). What do you hope for? Psychology Review, 12, 1, 7-9.
Book Reviews & Letters
- Davey, G. (forthcoming). A review of “Socio-economics of Personalized Medicine in Asia”. By Shirley Sun. Sociology of Health & Illness.
- Davey, G. (forthcoming). A review of “The Peasant in Postsocialist China. History, Politics, and Capitalism”. By Alexander Day. Europe-Asia Studies.
- Davey, G. (2013). A review of “Doing qualitative research in psychology: A practical guide”. By M. Forrester. Qualitative Research in Psychology.
- Davey, G. (2013). A review of “Cognitive behavioural therapy in mental health care”. By Alec Grant, Michael Townend, Ronan Mulhern, and Nigel Short. Asia Pacific Journal of Counselling and Psychotherapy.
- Davey, G. (2011). A review of “The role of companion animals in counselling and psychotherapy: Discovering their use in the therapeutic process”. By Jane Wilkes. Asia Pacific Journal of Counselling and Psychotherapy.
Visiting Professor of Psychology
Office: Orme-Gray 504