Dr. Tarek Na’was is an associate professor of biology/pharmacy. He previously served as the Dean of Students at LAU’s Beirut campus (1998-2010).
He served as an assistant professor at the Yarmouk University (1983-1987) and then the Jordan University for Science and Technology (1987-1988), where he was promoted to associate professor and later appointed Chair of the Allied Health Sciences Department of the School of Medicine (1989-1991).
He underwent postdoctoral training in the Special Bacteriology Laboratory of the Centers for Disease control and Prevention in Atlanta, Georgia, USA, in 1985.
Dr. Na’was was granted the “Shouman Award” for Young Arab Scientists in the field of Basic Medical Sciences in 1993 and the Fulbright Research Grant in 1994.
He has several publications in recognized and reputable international journals and has contributed to many professional conferences, seminars and workshops.
- Na’was, T.E., Hollis, D.G., Moss, C.W. and Weaver, R.E. Comparison of biochemical, morphologic and chemical characteristics of C.D.C. Fermentative Coryneform Groups 1,2 and A4. J. Clin. Microbiol. 25 (8): 1354-1358 (1987).
- Al-Arab, M.M., Na’was, T.E., and Abu-Yousef I.A. Synthesis of 2,3 Diarylglutaramides and their antibacterial activity. Indian J. chem. 29B: 694-696 (1990).
- Na’was, T.E., AL-Kaysi, H. and Sheikh-Salem, M. Microbial contamination and preservation efficacy of cough preparations. J. Clin. Pharm. Therap. 15:365-369 (1990).
- Takrouri, M., EL-Daher, N. and Na’was, T. E. Recolonization of anaesthetic instruments after regular treatment with potentially pathogenic organisms. M. E. J. Anesth. 10(5): 479-487 (1990).
- AL-Arab, M. M., Na’was, T. E. and Abu-Yousef. I. A. Stereoselective synthesis of new 2,3 Diarylglutaramides and their anti-bacterial activity. Toxicol. Environ. Chem. 27: 277-284 (1990).
- EL-Daher, N., Na’was, T. E. and AL-Qaderi, S. The effect of the pH of various dairy products on the survival and growth of Brucella melitensis Ann. Trop. Med. Par. 84(5): 523-528 (1990).
- Na’was, T. E. and Fakhoury, J. Nasal Carriage of Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus by hospital staff in north Jordan. J. Hosp. Inf. 17: 223-229 (1991).
- Sunna, E., EL-Daher, N., Bustami, K. and Na’was, T. A study of group B streptococcal carrier state during late pregnancy. Trop. Geog. Med. 43: 161-64 (1991).
- Na’was T. E. and Abo-Shehada, M. A study of the bacterial and parasitic causes of acute diarrhoea in northern Jordan. J. Diarrhoeal Dis. Res. 9(4): 305-309 (1991).
- AL-Qutob, R., Na’was, T. and Mawajdeh, S. The role of day care givers in the identification and prevention of infections. Soc. Sci. Med. 33(7): 859-862 (1991).
- AL-Kaysi, H.N., Abdel-Hay, M.H., Sheikh-Salem, M., Gharaibeh, A.M., and Na’was, T. Chemical and microbiological investigations of metal ion interaction with norfloxacin. Int. J. Pharmaceutics. 87: 73-77 (1992).
- Na’was, T.E. Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus in clinical specimens of a Jordan Hospital. J. Hosp. Inf. 25:71-72 (1993).
- Lafi, S.Q., Al-Rawashdeh, O.F., Na’was, T.E. and Hailat, N. A national cross-sectional study of mastitis in dairy cattle in Jordan. Trop. Anim. Health Prod. 26 (3): 168-74 (1994).
- Na’was, T. and Al-Ali, A.M. Clinical significance of coagulase negative staphylococci in a Jordan hospital. In: Staphylococci and Staphylococcal Infections (Proceedings of the 7th. International Symposium). Mollby, R., Flock, J.-I., Nord, C.E., and Christensson (editors). Zentralb. Bakteriol. Suppl. 26. Gustav FisherVerlag, New York. 1994. pp. 139-143.
- Na’was, T. and Alkofahi, A. Microbial contamination and preservative efficacy of topical creams. J. Clin. Pharm. Therap. 19 (1): 41-6 (1994).
- Na’was, T., Mawajdeh, S., Dababneh, A. and Al-Omari, A. Comparative In - Vitro activities of antimicrobial agents against Proteus species from clinical specimens. Br. J. Biomed. Sci. 51 (2): 95-9 (1994).
- Na’was, T., Hawwari, A., Hendrix, E., Hebden, J., Edelman, R., Martin, M., Campbell, W., Naso, R., Schwalbe, R., and Fattom, A. Phenotypic and genotypic characterization of nosocomial Staphylococcus aureus isolates from trauma patients. J. Clin. Microbiol. 36 (2): 414-420 (1998).
- Essawi, T., Na’was, T., Hawwari, A., Wadi, S., Doudin, A., and Fattom, A. Molecular, antibiogram and serological typing of Staphylococcus aureus isolates recovered from Al- Makased Hospital in East Jerusalem. Tropical Medicine and International Health: 3(7): 576-583 (1998).
- Na’was, T. On-line Registration: A blessing or a curse (In Arabic). On the Way: Proceedings of the XXIV Arab AACRAO conference. Beirut. Lebanon. March 31 to April 3, 2003. cited 22: 115 - 142, 2004.
- Iyer, A., Barbour E., Azhar, E., El Salabi, A., Mutlak, H., Hassan, A., Qadri, I., Chaudhary, A., Abuzenadah, A., Kumosani T., Damanhouri, G., Alawi, M., Na’was, T., Abdel Nour, A., Harakeh, S.. 2013. Transposable elements in Escherichia coli antimicrobial resistance. Advances in Bioscience and Biotechnology. 4: 415-423.
- Ph.D. in Basic Medical Sciences (Microbiology), 1983, American University of Beirut, Lebanon
- M.S. in Microbiology, 1979, American University of Beirut, Lebanon
- B.S. in Biology, 1977, American University of Beirut, Lebanon
Associate Professor of Biology/Pharmacy
Office: Irwin level 5