Samir Y. Obeid joined LAU in 1981 as a full-time instructor and laboratory supervisor. He was promoted to senior instructor in 2012. Between October 1997 and January 2016, he served as director of Financial Aid and Scholarships contributing in developing an automated Financial Aid System, including a Need Evaluation Module and an Electronic Time Sheet.
He is a in several committees: church related cultural committee, the Dhour Shweir public school friends’ committee, St. Mary’s Orthodox Parish Council and chief editor of the bulletin, Saint Mary Orthodox College committee., the editorial committee of the “Courier Oeucumenique”, the joint Catholic-Orthodox committee for Christian education, and the youth committee in the Middle East Council of Churches.
Since 2004, Obeid enjoys the hobby of renovating old houses. He recently completed a project consisting of a 300-year old house will be operated as a Bed & Breakfast.
- Moghrabi, I. A. R. & Obeid, S. Y. (2000). A general model for minimum curvature quasi-Newton methods. International Journal of Math Algorithms 1(4), 267 - 282.
- Obeid, S. Y. & Moghrabi, I. A. R. (1999). Curvature-based multistep quasi-Newton method for unconstrained optimization. Sib. Zh. Vychils.Mat 2(3), 281 - 293.
- Obeid, S. Y. & Moghrabi, I. A. R. (1999). A new family of multi-step quasi-Newton algorithms for unconstrained optimization. International Journal of Math Algorithms 1(1), 67 - 74.
- Obeid, S. Y. & Moghrabi, I. A. R. (1998). A new minimum curvator multi-step method for unconstrained optimization. In D. Bainov (Ed.) Proceedings of the 8th international colloquium on differential equations, Plovdiv, Bulgaria, August 18-23, 1997. (pp. 319 - 326). Utrecht: VSP
- Moghrabi, I. A. R. & Obeid, S. Y. (1998). A new family of multi-step quasi-Newton algorithms for unconstrained optimization. In E.A. Lipitakis (Ed.) Proceedings of the 4th Hellenic-European conference on Computer mathematics and its application. Athens, Greece September 24 - 26 (pp. 645 - 653). Athens: LEA, Athens University of Economics and business, Department of Informatics
- MS in Computer Sciences, Lebanese American University, Lebanon
- BS in Physics, American University of Beirut, Lebanon
Senior Instructor of Physics
Office: Nicol Hall 529