Dr. Samira I. Korfali is an associate professor of chemistry. She joined LAU as a part-time faculty member in 1977, and became a full-time faculty member in 1988. She previously served as chairperson of the Natural Sciences Department at LAU.
Her research interests include water, soil and sediment chemistry, assessment of water resources, and noise pollution in cities. Other research topics is toxic metal in canned food, dietary tablets, and medicinal herbs. Her research work has been exposed in conference presentations and in international journal publications, and has been acknowledged internationally. She has reviewed many manuscripts for publication in international scientific journals. Recipient of Said Akl Award, for creative research (2001)
She is a member in European branch of Society of Environmental Geochemistry and Health (SEGH), European Water Resource Association (EWRA); International Medical Geology Association (IMGA); Lebanese Association for the Advancement of Science.
- Korfali, S.I., Sabra, R., Jurdi, M., Taleb, R. (2013).” Assessment of Toxic Metals and Phthalates in Children’s Toys and Clays, “ Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology,http://www.springerlink.com/openurl.asp?genre=article&id=doi:10.1007/s00244-013-9925-1
- Korfali, S.I., Mroueh, M., Al-Zein, M, Salem, R. (2013). Metal concentration in commonly used medicinal herbs and infusion by Lebanese population: Health Impact, Journal of Food Research, 2 (2), 70-82.
- Korfali, S.I. Hawi, T., Mroueh, H. (2013). Evaluation of Heavy metals content in dietary supplements in Lebanon, Chemistry Central Journal, 7:10 http://journal.chemistrycentral.com/content/7/1/10
- Korfali, S.I., Abou Hamdan, W. (2013). Essential and toxic metals in Lebanese marketed canned food: Impact of metal cans, Journal of Food Research, 2 (1), 19-30.
- Korfali, S.I. (2012). Total and speciated metals and metal scales in domestic water: Impact of metallic water distribution system, Journal of Environmental Science and Engineering, A 1 732-749
- Korfali, S.I., Jurdi, M. (2012). Chemical profile of Lebanon’s potential contaminated coastal water, Journal of Environmental Science and Engineering, A1 , 351-363
- Korfali, S.I., Jurdi, M. (2011) Suitability of Surface Water for Domestic Water Use: Al -Awali River Case Study, EWRA, European Water, 35, 3-12
- Korfali, S.I., Jurdi, M. (2010) Deterioration of coastal water aquifers : causes and impacts, EWRA, European Water, 29. 3-10, 2010 EW Publications
- Korfali, S.I., Jurdi, M. (2010). Speciation of metals in bed sediments and water of Qaraaoun Reservoir, Lebanon, Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 178, 563-579
- Korfali, S.I., Jurdi, M. (2009). Provision of safe domestic water for the promotion and protection of public health: A case study of Beirut, Lebanon. Environmental Geochemistry and Health, 31, 283-295.
- Korfali, S.I., Jurdi, M. (2007) Assessment of domestic water quality: a case study, Beirut, Lebanon, Environmental Monitoring and Assessment , 135, 241-251
- Korfali, S.I., Jurdi, M., Davies,B.E. (2006) Variation of metals in bed sediments of Qaraaoun Reservoir, Lebanon, Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 151, 307-319.
- Ph.D. in Environmental Geochemistry, Bradford University, U.K.
- M.S. in Chemistry, American University of Beirut, Lebanon
- B.S. in Chemistry, Lebanese American University, Lebanon
Associate Professor of Chemistry
Office: Sage 207