Dr. Samira I. Korfali is an associate professor of Chemistry and was the chairperson of Natural Science Department at the Lebanese American University in Beirut (2006-2011). She joined LAU as a part-time faculty member in 1977, and became a full-time faculty member in 1988. She has received her B.S. degree in Chemistry from Lebanese American University, her M.S. degree in Physical Chemistry/Analytical from American University of Beirut and her PhD. in Environmental Geochemistry from Bradford University, UK
Her research interests include mechanisms of metal deposition in alluvial systems, speciation and modeling of metals in sediment, soil and water, synthesizing and characterization of supra-molecules for the objective of using them as receptors of pollutants in all water resources , and assessment of water resources, Other research topics include toxic metal in canned food, dietary tablets, medicinal herbs, children’s toys and creams, and speciation of metals in cosmetics. Her research work has been exposed in conference presentations and in international journal publications, and has been acknowledged internationally. She has reviewed many manuscripts for publication in international scientific journals; she has received many times research grants from Lebanese Council of Scientific Research (CNRS).
She was selected form a large group and invited as global scientist to attend the World Economic Forum on Science and Technology, Dead Sea, 2009 and acted a discussion leader for the Role Model Scientist. Also, recipient of Said Akl Award, for creative research (2001).
She is a member in European branch of the Society of Environmental Geochemistry and Health (SEGH), European Water Resource Association (EWRA); International Medical Geology Association (IMGA); Lebanese Association for the Advancement of Science. She is a board member of SASTA.
Her hobbies are hiking, reading and cooking.
- Ghanem, H., Baydoun, S., Abou Hamdan, H., Itani, L., Chalak, L., Korfali, S.I.(2020). First Investigation on Bioaccumulation Potentiality of Lemna gibba L. for Heavy Metal Pollution in Lebanese Fresh Waters, Pollution Research, (In press in the year 2020 (2) Issue).
- Ghanem, H., Haddad, A. , Baydoun, S., Abou-Hamdan, H. , Korfali, S., Lamis Chalak. L. (2019) In vitro proliferation of Lebanese Lemna minor and Lemna gibba on different nutrient media, Journal of Taibah University for Science, 13 (1) 1658-3655, (Online, https://doi.org/10.1080/16583655.2019.1597450)
- Korfali, S. Karake, H. (2018) Speciation of metals in soils and water: risk assessment. Environmental process, 5, 101-125
- Khalil, C., Al Hageh, C., Korfali S., Khnayzer, R. (2018). Municipal leachate health risks: chemical cytotoxicity assessment from regulated and unregulated municipal dumpsites in Lebanon, Chemosphere, 208, 1-13.
- de Namor, A., Al Hakawati, N. , Abou Hamdan, W., Soualhi, R., Korfali, S., Valiente, L.(2017) Calixpyrrole for the removal of arsenic (III) and arsenic (V) form water. Journal of Hazardous Materials., 326, 61- 68.
- Wazne, M, Korfali, S. (2016) Spatial and temporal assessment of metal pollution in the sediments of the Qaraoun Reservoir, Lebanon. Environmental Science and Pollution Research , 23 (8) , 7603- 7614
- Korfali, S.I., Sabra, R., Jurdi, M., Taleb, R. (2013). Assessment of Toxic Metals and Phthalates in Children’s Toys and Clays. Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 65, 368–381.
- Korfali, S.I. Hawi, T., Mroueh, H. (2013). Evaluation of Heavy metals content in dietary supplements in Lebanon, Chemistry Central Journal, 7:10
- Korfali, S.I., Jurdi, M. (2010). Speciation of metals in bed sediments and water of Qaraaoun Reservoir, Lebanon, Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 178, 563-579
- Korfali, S.I., Jurdi, M. (2009). Provision of safe domestic water for the promotion and protection of public health: A case study of Beirut, Lebanon. Environmental Geochemistry and Health, 31, 283–295
- Korfali, S.I., Davies,B.E. (2004) Speciation of metals in Sediment and water in a river underlain by limestone: role of carbonate species for purification capacity of rivers, Advances in Environmental Research, 8, 599-612.
De Namor, A. Cratwright, J.R., Abou Hamdan, W., Webb, O.A., Al Hakawati, N., Korfali, S. (2014). From a modified naturally occurring material to the design of novel receptors for the removal of arsenic from water. In (eds): Litter, M., Nicolli, H.B., Meichtry, J.M., Quicy, N., Bundschuh, J., Battacharya P., and Naidu, R. One Century of the Discovery of Arsenicosis in Latin America (1994-2014), CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, London, 2014, pp. 787-791.
- PhD in Environmental Geochemistry, Bradford University, UK
- MS in Chemistry, American University of Beirut, Lebanon
- BS in Chemistry, Lebanese American University, Lebanon
Associate Professor of Chemistry
Office: Sage 207