Dr. Samira I. Korfali is an associate professor of chemistry. She joined LAU as a part-time faculty member in 1977, and became a full-time faculty member in 1988. She previously served as chairperson of the Department of Natural Sciences at LAU.
Her research interests include water, soil and sediment chemistry, assessment of water resources, and noise pollution in cities. Other research topics is toxic metal in canned food, dietary tablets, and medicinal herbs. Her research work has been exposed in conference presentations and in international journal publications, and has been acknowledged internationally. She has reviewed many manuscripts for publication in international scientific journals. Recipient of Said Akl Award, for creative research (2001).
Dr. Korfali is a member in the European branch of Society of Environmental Geochemistry and Health (SEGH), European Water Resource Association (EWRA); International Medical Geology Association (IMGA); Lebanese Association for the Advancement of Science.
- Khalil, C., Al Hageh, C., Korfali S., Khnayzer, R. (2018). Municipal leachate health risks: chemical cytotoxicity assessment from regulated and unregulated municipal dumpsites in Lebanon, Chemosphere, 208, 1-13
- Korfali, S.I., Karaki, H. (2017) Bioavailability of metals in soils irrigated by synthetic wastewater: Metal speciation, European Water, 58, 315-322
- de Namor, A., Al Hakawati, N. , Abou Hamdan, W., Soualhi, R., Korfali, S., Valiente, L. (2017)Calixpyrrole for the removal of arsenic (III) and arsenic (V) form water. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 326, 61- 68
- Wazne, M, Korfali, S. (2016) Spatial and temporal assessment of metal pollution in the sediments of the Qaraoun Reservoir, Lebanon. Environmental Science and Pollution Research , 23 (8) , 7603- 7614
- Hariri, E., Abboud, M.I., Demirdjian, S., Korfali, S., Mroueh, M., Taleb, I. (2015). Carcinogenic and neurotoxic risks of acrylamide and heavy metals from potato and corn chips consumed by the Lebanese population. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, 42, 91-97.
- De Namor, A. Cratwright, J.R., Abou Hamdan, W., Webb, O.A., Al Hakawati, N., Korfali, S. (2014). From a modified naturally occurring material to the design of novel receptors for the removal of arsenic from water. In (eds): Litter, M., Nicolli, H.B., Meichtry, J.M., Quicy, N., Bundschuh, J., Battacharya P., and Naidu, R. One Century of the Discovery of Arsenicosis in Latin America (1994-2014), CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, London, pp. 787-791.
- Korfali , S.I., , Jurdi, M., and Amacha, N. (2014). Sources and levels of metals in the Upper Litani Basin soils: Lebanon. Journal of Environmental Science and Engineering, A 3 , 55-71.
- Korfali, S.I., Sabra, R., Jurdi, M., Taleb, R. (2013). “Assessment of Toxic Metals and Phthalates in Children’s Toys and Clays,” Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology,http://www.springerlink.com/openurl.asp genre=article&id=doi:10.1007/s00244-013-9925-1
- Korfali, S.I., Mroueh, M., Al-Zein, M, Salem, R. (2013). Metal concentration in commonly used medicinal herbs and infusion by Lebanese population: Health Impact, Journal of Food Research, 2 (2), 70-82.
- Korfali, S.I. Hawi, T., Mroueh, H. (2013). Evaluation of Heavy metals content in dietary supplements in Lebanon, Chemistry Central Journal, 7:10 http://journal.chemistrycentral.com/content/7/1/10
- Korfali, S.I., Abou Hamdan, W. (2013). Essential and toxic metals in Lebanese marketed canned food: Impact of metal cans, Journal of Food Research, 2 (1), 19-30.
- Korfali, S.I. (2012). Total and speciated metals and metal scales in domestic water: Impact of metallic water distribution system, Journal of Environmental Science and Engineering, A 1 732-749
- Korfali, S.I., Jurdi, M. (2012). Chemical profile of Lebanon’s potential contaminated coastal water, Journal of Environmental Science and Engineering, A1 , 351-363
- Korfali, S.I., Jurdi, M. (2011) Suitability of Surface Water for Domestic Water Use: Al -Awali River Case Study, EWRA, European Water, 35, 3-12
- Korfali, S.I., Jurdi, M. (2010) Deterioration of coastal water aquifers : causes and impacts, EWRA, European Water, 29. 3-10, 2010 EW Publications
- Korfali, S.I., Jurdi, M. (2010). Speciation of metals in bed sediments and water of Qaraaoun Reservoir, Lebanon, Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 178, 563-579
- Korfali, S.I., Jurdi, M. (2009). Provision of safe domestic water for the promotion and protection of public health: A case study of Beirut, Lebanon. Environmental Geochemistry and Health, 31, 283-295.
- Korfali, S.I., Jurdi, M. (2007) Assessment of domestic water quality: a case study, Beirut, Lebanon, Environmental Monitoring and Assessment , 135, 241-251
- Korfali, S.I., Jurdi, M., Davies,B.E. (2006) Variation of metals in bed sediments of Qaraaoun Reservoir, Lebanon, Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 151, 307-319.
- PhD in Environmental Geochemistry, Bradford University, UK
- MS in Chemistry, American University of Beirut, Lebanon
- BS in Chemistry, Lebanese American University, Lebanon
Associate Professor of Chemistry
Office: Sage 207