Dr. Sandra Rizk is an associate professor of biology in the Department of Natural Sciences at LAU Beirut. After teaching at AUB, Lebanese University, and NDU, she joined LAU in 2004.
Dr. Rizk served as an assistant dean for the School of Arts and Sciences for two years (2012-2014), and as the director of Honors and Freshman Programs at LAU. She is the founding director of the Honors Program which spans across four schools at LAU, including AKSOB, SArD, SAS and SOE.
Dr. Rizk is the recipient of the LAU Teaching Excellence Award for the academic year 2017-2018.
Her current research interests are in:
- Intracellular trafficking: investigating the effect of glycosylation on intracellular processing and association of glycoproteins with lipid rafts. Identifying biomarkers for lysosomal storage diseases
- Plant cell wall assembly, to investigate the different mechanisms of interaction between cell wall polysaccharides
- Cancer chemoprevention, to identify food components that exhibit anti-tumor activities
- Nutrition, to investigate correlations between body composition, body shape perception, eating habits, and physical activity levels in university students
- Hodroj MH, Abi Raad S, Jardaly A, Rizk S. 2018. Andrographolide potentiates the anti-tumor effects of Topotecan in U937 acute myeloid leukemia cells. Cancer Management and Research,vol 10, 1079-1088.
- Barakat G, Moustafa M, Khalifeh I, Hodroj MH, Bikhazi A, and Rizk S. 2017. Effects of exendin-4 and selenium on the expression of GLP-1R, IRS-1 and preproinsulin in the pancreas of diabetic rats. Journal of Physiology and Biochemistry, vol 73(3), 387-394.
- Khalifeh R. Hodroj MH, Fakhoury R, Rizk S. 2016. Thymoquinone from Nigella sativa Seeds Promotes the Antitumor Activity of Non-cytotoxic Doses of Topotecan in Human Colorectal Cancer Cells In Vitro. Planta Medica, vol 82(4), 312-321.
- El Khoury N, El-Hayek S, Tarras O, El-Sibai M, El-Sabban M, Rizk S. 2014. Kefir Exhibits Anti-proliferative and Pro-apoptotic Effects on Colon Adenocarcinoma Cells with no Significant Effects on Cell Migration and Invasion. International Journal of Oncology, vol 45, 2117-2127.
- Khalifeh R, El-Hayek S, Tarras O, Hodroj MH, Rizk S. 2014. The Anti-Proliferative and Pro-apoptotic Effect of Topotecan in Combination with Thymoquinone on Acute Myelogenous Leukemia. Clinical Lymphoma Myeloma and Leukemia, vol 14, S46-55.
- Behrendt M, Krahn M, Albayati H, Amiri M, Rizk S, Naim H. 2012. Cadherin-related protein 24 induces morphological changes and partial cell polarization by trans-interactions. Biological Chemistry, vol 393(6), 495-503.
- Baydoun E, Mansour O, Rizk S and Brett C. 2011.Identification of EDTA-soluble polysaccharides from pea epicotyls cell walls and their interaction with xyloglucan. American Journal of Plant Sciences, vol 2(2), 148-155.
- Yahia N , Abu Ghazale H, Achkar A, Rizk S. 2011. Dieting Practices and Body Image perception among Lebanese University Students. Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol 20(1), 21-28
- Maalouf K, Baydoun E, Rizk S. 2011. Kefir Induces Cell-cycle Arrest and Apoptosis in HTLV-1 Negative Malignant T-Lymphocytes. Cancer Management and Research, vol 3, 39-47.
- Yahia N, Abdallah A, Achkar A, Rizk S. 2010. Physical Activity, Smoking Practices, and Weight Status among Lebanese University Students. International Journal of Health Research, vol 3 (1), 21-29.
- Maalouf K, Jia J, Rizk S, Brogden G, Keiser M, Das A, Naim H. 2010. A modified lipid composition in Fabry disease leads to an intracellular block of the detergent-resistant membrane-associated dipeptidyl peptidase IV. Journal of Inherited Metabolic Disease, vol 33, 445-449
- Krahn MP, Rizk S, Alfalah M, Behrendt M and Naim HY. 2010. Protocadherin of the liver, kidney and colon associates with detergent-resistant membranes during cellular differentiation. The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol 285 (17), 13193-13200.
- Rizk S, Maalouf K and Baydoun E. 2009. The Antiproliferative Effect of Kefir Cell Free Fraction on HUT-102 Malignant T-lymphocytes. Clinical Lymphoma and Myeloma, vol 9, S198-S203
- Yahia N, Achkar A, Abdallah A, Rizk S. 2008. Eating habits and obesity among Lebanese university students. Nutrition Journal, vol 7: 32.
- Baydoun E, Abdel-Massih R, Dani D, Rizk S and Brett C, 2001. Galactosyl- and Fucosyl- transferases in Etiolated Pea Epicotyls: Product Identification and Subcellular Localisation. Journal of Plant Physiology, vol 158, 145-150.
- Rizk S, Abdel-Massih R, Baydoun E and Brett C, 2000. pH-dependent Binding of Nascent Pectin and Glucuronarabinoxylan to Xylogucan in Pea. Planta, vol 211, 423-429..
- Baydoun E, Rizk S and Brett C, 1999. Localisation of Methyltransferases involved in Glucuronoxylan and Pectin Methylation in the Golgi Apparatus in Etiolated Pea Epicotyls. Journal of Plant Physiology, vol 155, 240-244.
- Ph.D., 2000, Institute of Biomedical Life Sciences, University of Glasgow, U.K.
- M.S. in Biology, 1997, American University in Beirut, Lebanon
- B.S. in Biology, 1995, American University in Beirut, Lebanon
Associate Professor of Biology
Office: Block A, 820