Dr. Taleb studied Medical Science at the University of Western Sydney (UWS), Australia, from which he graduated with High Distinction. He received his Honours degree in Medicinal Chemistry working under the supervision of Professor Janice Aldrich-Wright at UWS. He obtained his PhD in Medicinal Chemistry in April 2008 from UWS. His Honors and PhD thesis focused on preparing platinum complexes in which polyamides were attached to trans- platinum(II) centers. The complexes were expected to display selectivity for specific DNA sequences, such as the TTAGGG repeat, which is prominent in the DNA telomeres of cancer cells. Dr. Taleb also has practical and theoretical experience in instrumental analysis and that includes NMR, HPLC, GC, Elemental Analysis, Mass-Spec, IR, UV, Protein Synthesizer and Circular Dichroism (CD).
During his Honors, Dr. Taleb became a Member of the Royal Australian Chemical Institute (MRACI). Dr. Taleb joined LAU in 2008 on a part-time bases and then started his full-time tenure in October 2011. His current research, in addition to polyamide complexes, is focused on preparing intercalating complexes with potential promise as anti-cancer agents.
- Ghada El-Zakhem Naous, Areej Merhi, Mohamad Mroueh and Robin I. Taleb, Carcinogenic and Neurotoxic Risks of Acrylamide Consumed through Caffeinated Beverages among the Lebanese Population, Chemosphere, 2018, 208, 352-357. DOI: 10.1016/j.chemosphere.2018.05.1850045-6535.
- Najwa Mansour, Stephanie Mehanna, Mohamad A. Mroueh, Hassib Audi, Kikki Bodman-Smith, Costantine F. Daher, Robin I. Taleb, Mirvat El-Sibai, and Rony S. Khnayzer, Photoactivatable Ru(II) complex bearing 2,9-diphenyl-1,10-phenanthroline: unusual photochemistry and significant potency on cisplatin-resistant cell lines. European Journal of Inorganic Chemistry, 2018, 22, 2524-2532. DOI: 10.1002/ejic.201800194.
- Daaboul HE, Dagher C, Taleb RI, Bodman-Smith K, Shebaby WN, El-Sibai M, Mroueh MA, Daher CF. The Chemotherapeutic effect of β-2-himachalen-6-ol in chemically induced skin tumorigenesis, Biomedicine and Pharmacology, 2018, 103, 443-452. DOI:10.1016/j.biopha.2018.04.027.
- Robin I. Taleb, Paul Najm, Wassim Shebaby, Joelle C. Boulos, Sally Demirdjian, Essa Hariri, Mirvat El-Sibai, Costantine Daher and Mohamad Mroueh, β-2-Himachalen-6-ol: A Novel Anticancer Sesquiterepene Unique to the Lebanese Wild Carrot, Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 2016, 190, 59-67. DOI: 10.1016/j.jep.2016.05.053.
- Essa Hariri, Martine Abboud, Sally Demirdjian, Samira Korfali, Mohamad Mroueh and Robin I. Taleb, Carcinogenic and Neurotoxic Risks of Acrylamide and Heavy Metals Consumed through Potato/Corn Chips among the Lebanese Population, Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, 2015, 42, 91-97. DOI:10.1016/j.jfca.2015.03.009.
- Perla Zgheib, Costantine Daher, Mohamad Mroueh, Anita Nasrallah, Robin I. Taleb, Mirvat El-Sibai, Daucus carota Pentane/Diethyl Ether Fraction Inhibits Motility and Reduces Invasion of Cancer Cells, Chemotherapy, 2015, 60(5), 302-309· DOI: 10.1159/000430085.
- Wassim N. Shebaby, Mohammad Mroueh, Kiki Bodman-Smith, Anthony Mansour, Robin I. Taleb, Costantine F. Daher and Mirvat El-Sibai, Daucus carota pentane-based fractions arrest the cell cycle and increase apoptosis in MDA-MB-231 breast cancer cells, BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 2014, 14 (1), 387. DOI: 10.1186/1472-6882-14-387.
- Samira I. Korfali, Rayan Sabra, Mey Jurdi, Robin I. Taleb, Assessment of Toxic Metals and Phthalates in Children’s Toys and Clays, Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, 2013, 65, 368-381. DOI 10.1007/s00244-013-9925-1.
- Orkey, N.; Taleb, R. I.; Aldrich-Wright J. R. Synthesis and characterisation of metallopolyamide complexes, Inorganica Chimica Acta, 2012, 393, 187-197. Invited paper.
- Jaramillo, D.; Brodie, C.; Howard, W.; Taleb, R. I.; Aldrich-Wright, J. R. Sequence selective pyrrole and imidazole polyamide metal complexes for targeting therapeutic or diagnostic groups to polynucleotides. PCT Int. Appl. 2011, US Patent 8,017,599; INTERNATIONAL PATENT.
- Taleb, R. I., Preparation, Optimisation and Characterisation of sequence Selective Compounds, University of Western Sydney, 2008, PhD Dissertation.
- Aldrich-Wright, J. R.; Wheate, N. J.; Taleb, R. I. Novel platinum(II)-based anticancer drugs; metallointercalators and DNA sequence specific agents. J. Bio. Inorg. Chem. 2007, 12 (Suppl 1), S7-S52.
- Taleb, R. I.; Jaramillo, D.; Wheate N. J.; Aldrich-Wright, J. R. Synthesis of DNA sequence selective hairpin polyamide platinum anticancer agents, Chem.– A Eur. J. 2007, 13, 3177-3186.
- Wheate, N. J.; Taleb, R. I.; Krause-Heuer, A. M.; Cook, R. L.; Wang, S.; Higgins, V. J.; Aldrich-Wright, J. R. Novel platinum(II)-based anticancer complexes and molecular hosts as their drug delivery vehicles, Dalton Transactions 2007, 5055-5064 (Invited Paper).
- Jaramillo, D.; Brodie, C.; Howard, W.; Taleb, R. I.; Aldrich-Wright, J. R. Sequence selective pyrrole and imidazole polyamide metal complexes for targeting therapeutic or diagnostic groups to polynucleotides. PCT Int. Appl. 2006, EP Patent 1,678,133; INTERNATIONAL PATENT.
- Jaramillo, D.; Brodie, C.; Howard, W.; Taleb, R. I.; Aldrich-Wright, J. R. Sequence selective pyrrole and imidazole polyamide metal complexes for targeting therapeutic or diagnostic groups to polynucleotides. PCT Int. Appl. 2005, 97 pp. CODEN: PIXXD2 WO 2005033077 A1 20050414 CAN 142:402927 AN 2005:324136 CAPLUS; INTERNATIONAL PATENT.
- Hamid E. Daaboul, Costantine F. Daher, Kikki Bodman-Smith, Robin I. Taleb, Wassim N. Shebaby, Joelle Boulos, Carole Dagher, Mohamad A. Mroueh, Mirvat El-Sibai, Antitumor activity of β-2-himachalen-6-ol in colon cancer is mediated through its inhibition of the PI3K and MAPK pathways Journal, Chemico-Biological Interactions, 2017, 275, 162-170. DOI: 10.1016/j.cbi.2017.08.003.
- Hamid E. Daaboul, Costantine F. Daher, Robin I. Taleb, Joelle Boulos, Kikki Bodman-Smith, Petra Boukamp, Wassim N. Shebaby, Carol Dagher, Mirvat El-Sibai and Mohamad A. Mroueh, β-2-Himachalen-6-ol protects against skin cancer development in vitro and in vivo, Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, 2017. DOI: 10.1111/jphp.12796.
- Wassim N Shebaby, Mohamad A Mroueh, Petra Boukamp, Robin I. Taleb, Kikki Bodman-Smith, Mirvat El-Sibai and Costantine F. Daher, Wild carrot pentane-based fractions suppress proliferation of human HaCaT keratinocytes and protect against chemically-induced skin cancer, BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 2017, 17, 36. DOI: 10.1186/s12906-016-1531-0.
- Shebaby WN, Bodman-Smith KB, Mansour A, Mroueh M, Taleb RI, El-Sibai M and Daher CF, Daucus carota Pentane-Based Fractions Suppress Proliferation and Induce Apoptosis in Human Colon Adenocarcinoma HT-29 Cells by Inhibiting the MAPK and PI3K Pathways, Journal of Medicinal Food, 2015, 18 (7), 745-752. DOI:10.1089/jmf.2014.3225.
- PhD, Doctor of Philosophy, University of Western Sydney, 2009
- Commercialization Training Postgraduate, Research Award, University of Technology, Sydney, 2008
- Bachelor of Medical Science, Honors Class I, University of Western Sydney, 2005
- Bachelor of Medical Science, Distinction, University of WesternSydney, 2004
Associate Professor of Chemistry
Assistant Dean, School of Arts and Sciences
Office: Block A, Room 814