Dr. Taleb studied Medical Science at the University of Western Sydney (UWS), Australia, from which he graduated with High Distinction. He received his Honours degree in Medicinal Chemistry working under the supervision of Professor Janice Aldrich-Wright at UWS. He obtained his PhD in Medicinal Chemistry in April 2008 from UWS. His honours and PhD thesis focused on preparing platinum complexes in which polyamides were attached to trans- platinum(II) centres. The complexes were expected to display selectivity for specific DNA sequences, such as the TTAGGG repeat, which is prominent in the DNA telomeres of cancer cells. Dr. Taleb also has practical and theoretical experience in instrumental analysis and that includes NMR, HPLC, GC, Elemental Analysis, Mass-Spec, IR, UV, Protein Synthesiser and Circular Dichroism (CD). During his Honours Dr. Taleb became a Member of the Royal Australian Chemical Institute (MRACI). Dr. Taleb joined LAU in 2008 on Part-Time bases and then started his Full-Time tenure in October 2011. His current research, in addition to polyamide complexes, is focused on preparing intercalating complexes with potential promise as anti-cancer agents.
- Robin I. Taleb, Paul Najm, Wassim Shebaby, Joelle C. Boulos, Sally Demirdjian, Essa Hariri, Mirvat El-Sibai, Costantine Daher and Mohamad Mroueh, β-2-Himachalen-6-ol: A Novel Anticancer Sesquiterepene Unique to the Lebanese Wild Carrot, Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 2016, 190, 59-67. DOI: 10.1016/j.jep.2016.05.053
- Essa Hariri, Martine Abboud, Sally Demirdjian, Samira Korfali, Mohamad Mroueh and Robin I. Taleb, Carcinogenic and Neurotoxic Risks of Acrylamide and Heavy Metals Consumed through Potato/Corn Chips among the Lebanese Population, Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, 2015, 42, 91-97. DOI:10.1016/j.jfca.2015.03.009.
- Taleb, R. I.; Jaramillo, D.; Wheate N. J.; Aldrich-Wright, J. R. Synthesis of DNA sequence selective hairpin polyamide platinum anticancer agents, Chem.– A Eur. J. 2007, 13, 3177-3186.
- Wheate, N. J.; Taleb, R. I.; Krause-Heuer, A. M.; Cook, R. L.; Wang, S.; Higgins, V. J.; Aldrich-Wright, J. R. Novel platinum(II)-based anticancer complexes and molecular hosts as their drug delivery vehicles, Dalton Transactions 2007, 5055-5064 (Invited Paper).
- Aldrich-Wright J. R.; Wheate, N. J.; Taleb, R. I. Novel platinum(II)-based anticancer drugs; metallointercalators and DNA sequence specific agents. J. Bio. Inorg. Chem. 2007, 12 (Suppl 1), S7-S52.
- PhD, Doctor of Philosophy , University of Western Sydney, 2009
- Commercialisation Training Postgraduate, Research Award, University of Technology, Sydney, 2008
- Bachelor of Medical Science, Honours Class I, University of Western Sydney, 2005
- Bachelor of Medical Science, Distinction, University of WesternSydney, 2004
Associate Professor of Chemistry
Assistant Dean, School of Arts and Sciences
Office: Block A, Room 814