Dr. Nadine Zeeni in an associate professor of nutrition and the coordinator of the Nutrition Program. She joined LAU in 2009 as the program’s first faculty member and contributed greatly in its establishment and expansion.
Dr. Zeeni has strong research interests in the regulation of eating behavior. She has closely examined two fields in particular: appetite regulation and disordered eating behaviors. She was part of the Nutrient Sensing in Satiety control and Obesity (NuSISCO) project funded by the European Union, and which aimed at better understanding the growing obesity problem in Europe. Dr. Zeeni is particularly interested in the effects of technology and social media use and dependence on body image and dietary habits. This topic is of great significance in light of the increasing use of social media and its possible detrimental effects on physical and mental health.
Since its creation in 2010, Dr. Zeeni has been an active member of LAU’s Inter-professional Education (IPE) workgroup. She acted as IPE coordinator from 2015 till 2018. The group’s main mission is to prepare students of health and social care professions (Nutrition, Nursing, Pharmacy, Medicine and Social Work) to provide patient care in a collaborative team environment.
Dr. Zeeni is an active member of the American Society for Nutrition (ASN), Middle East Eating Disorders Association (MEEDA) and Marie Curie Alumni Association (MCAA).
- Zeeni N, Doumit R, Abi Kharma J, Sanchez-Ruiz MJ. Media, Technology Use, and Attitudes: Associations with Physical and Mental Well-Being in Youth with Implications for Evidence-Based Practice. Worldviews in Evidence-based Nursing 2018, 15(4):304-312. doi: 10.1111/wvn.12298
- Doumit R, Abi Kharma J, Sanchez-Ruiz MJ, Zeeni N. Predictors of Disordered Eating in Young Males. Community Mental Health Journal, 2018, 54(2), 236-244.
- Sanchez-Ruiz MJ, El-Jor C, Abi Kharma J, Bassil M, Zeeni N. Personality, emotion-related variables, and media pressure predict eating disorders via disordered eating in Lebanese university students. Eating and Weight Disorders - Studies on Anorexia, Bulimia and Obesity, 2017, In Press.
- Zeeni N, Zeenny R, Hasbini T, Asmar N, Bassil M, Nasser S, Milane A, Farra A, Habre M, Khazen G, Hoffart N. Student Perceptions toward interprofessional education: findings from a longitudinal study based in a Middle Eastern University. Journal of Interprofessional Care, 2016, 30(2):165-74.
- El Khoury G, Ramadan W, Zeeni N. Herbal Products and Dietary Supplements: A Cross-Sectional Survey of Use, Attitudes, and Knowledge Among the Lebanese Population. Journal of Community Health, 2015, 41(3), 566-573.
- Bassil M, Daher CF, Mroueh M, Zeeni N. Salvia Libanotica improves glucose control in rats. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 2015; 15(1):384.
- Zeeni N, Doumit R, Safieddine H. Eating Disorder Outpatients in Lebanon: a descriptive cross-sectional study. Community Mental Health Journal, 2015, 53(1):117-125.
- Doumit R, Long JA, Gharibeh N, Kazandjian C, Karam L, Boswell C, Song H, Zeeni N. Using cell phone pictures to record food intake and promote healthy eating. Worldviews on Evidence-based nursing, 2015, 13(3):216-23.
- Long JD, Gannaway P, Ford C, Doumit R, Zeeni N, Sukkarieh-Haraty O, Milane A, Byers B, Harisson L, Hatch D, Brown J, Proper S, White P, Song H. Effectiveness of a Technology-Based Intervention to Teach Evidence-Based Practice: The EBR Tool. Worldviews on Evidence-based Nursing, 2016;13(1):59-65.
- Zeeni N, Dagher-Hamalian C, Dimassi H, Faour W. A cafeteria diet worsens alimentary obesity and its metabolic consequences in mice. Inflammation Research, 2015; 64(7):501-12.
- Doumit R., Zeeni N, Sanchez Ruiz M, Khazen G. Anxiety as a Moderator of the Relationship between Body Image and Restrained Eating. Perspectives in Psychiatric Care, 2015, doi: 10.1111/ppc.12126.
- Doumit R, Khazen G, Katsounari I, Zeeni N. Investigating Vulnerability for Developing Eating Disorders in a Multi-confessional Population. Community Mental Health Journal, 2017 Jan;53(1):107-116.
- Mattar L, Zeeni N, Bassil M. Effect of movie violence on mood, stress, appetite perception and food preferences in a random population. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2014; 69(8):972-3 (Short paper).
- Zeeni N, Bassil M, Darcel N, Chaumontet C, Fromentin G, Tome D, Daher CF. Environmental enrichment and cafeteria diet synergistically modify the response to chronic variable stress in rats. Physiology and Behavior, 2015; 139:41-9.
- Zeeni N, Saab L, Daher CF, Mroueh M. Tragopogon Porrifolius improves serum lipid profile and increases short-term satiety in rats. Appetite. 2014; 72:1-7.
- Zeeni N, Gharibeh N, Katsounari I. The influence of socio-cultural factors on the eating attitudes of Lebanese and Cypriot students: a cross-cultural study. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics, 2013;26 Suppl 1:45-52
- Zeeni N, Daher C, Darcel N, Chaumontet , Fromentin G, Tome D. A cafeteria diet modifies the response to chronic mild stress in rats. Stress, 2013;16(2):211-9.
- Katsounari I, Zeeni N. Preocccupation with weight and eating patterns of Lebanese and Cypriot students. Psychology, 2012, 3(6).
- Zeeni N, Nadkarni NA, Bell JD, Sinkus R, Fromentin G, Tome D, Darcel N. Peripherally injected cholecystokinin-induced neuronal activation is modified by dietary composition in mice. NeuroImage, 2010, 50(4):1560-5.
- Zeeni N, Moyse E, Darcel N, Fromentin G, Tome D. Influence of a high fat diet on brain-derived Neurotrophic factor (BDNF). Brain Research, 2009, 1289:49-55.
- Zeeni N, Selmaoui B, Beauchamp D, Labrecque G, Thibault L. Effects of the dietary protein level on gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats and on the circadian rhythms of food ingestion. Physiology and Behavior 2007; 90(5):760-70.
- PhD, AgroParisTech University, France
- MS in Human Nutrition, McGill University, Canada
- BS in Nutrition, American University of Beirut, Lebanon
Associate Professor of Nutrition
Coordinator of the Nutrition Program
Office: Orme Gray 318 (Beirut), Block A, Room 818 (Byblos)