Passionate about Nutrition, Dr. Lama Mattar pursued her BSc and MSc in nutritional sciences at the American University of Beirut. She also completed a PhD specialized in eating disorders and behaviors at University of Pierre & Marie-Curie in Paris, France (2011).
Dr. Mattar believes that nutrition is the cornerstone of the medical therapy for many diseases. This belief in the therapeutic aspect of nutrition made her practice clinical dietetics in various specialized units in the USA, Switzerland, Lebanon and France. She gained a broadened experience by completing a post-doctoral project on cancer and malnutrition in hospitals.
She loves teaching and research. Dr. Mattar taught graduate and undergraduate nutrition courses at the American University of Beirut and is now assistant professor at the Lebanese American University. She has been invited as guest speaker to several international conferences, and publishes extensively in peer-reviewed journals. She got awarded from the French Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs an Excellence scholarship in 2010, and from King’s College in London, a research Excellence fellowship in 2012.
In addition, Dr. Mattar is heavily involved in community-related projects where she puts her expertise in nutrition and education at the service of the community. She is the official nutritionist of the Beirut Marathon Association, she developed and implemented with MMKN-NGO a full program for health and nutrition education of children in elementary public schools, and she is involved in breastfeeding awareness campaigns.
Publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Issa C., Hobeika M., Salameh P., Zeidan RK., Mattar L. Longer durations of both exclusive and mixed breastfeeding are associated with better health in infants and toddlers Breastfeeding Review, 2019 (ahead of print
- Mattar L, Farran N, Abi Kharma J., Zeeni N. Movie violence acutely affects food choices in young adults Eating Behaviors, 2019 (ahead of print)
- Mattar L, Hobeika M, et al. Determinants of exclusive and mixed breastfeeding durations and risk of recurrent illnesses in toddlers attending day care programs across Lebanon. Journal of Pediatric Nursing 2019. S0882-5963(18)30274-4.
- Rizk M., Mattar L., Godart N. High Intensity Exercise is Associated with a Better Nutritional Status in Anorexia Nervosa. European Eating Disorders Review, December 2018 (epub, ahead of print)
- Abi Nader P., Mattar L., et al. Results from the First Lebanon’s Physical Activity Report Card for Children and Youth (2018) Journal of Physical Activity & Health, November 2018 (epub, ahead of print)
- L. Mattar, M. G. Abiad, A. Chalak, M. Diab, H. Hassan. 2018. Attitudes and behaviors shaping household food waste generation: Lessons from Lebanon. Journal of Cleaner Production 198: 1219-1223.
- Abi Saleh W., Bou Khalil P., Ouaijan K., Abillama F., Akiki S., Ahmad N., Mattar L*. Evaluation Of Nutrition Support Practices: Results from a Nationwide Survey Clinical Nutrition, 2017 [ahead of print]
- Mattar L, Farran N, Batoul D. Effect of 7-minute workout on weight and body composition The Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, 2017 Jan 13.
- Mattar L, Zeeni N, Bassil M. Effect of movie violence on mood, stress, appetite perception and food preferences in a random population. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2015 Aug;69(8):972-3.
- Gauthier C, Hassler C, Mattar L et al. Symptoms of depression and anxiety in Anorexia Nervosa: Links with plasma tryptophan and serotonin metabolism . Psychoneuroendocrinology; 2013
- Mattar L, Huas C, EVHAN group Godart N. Relationship between affective symptoms and malnutrition intensity in severe Anorexia Nervosa PlosOne 2012;7(11):e49380
- Mattar L, Thiebaud MR, Huas C, Godart N. Depression, anxiety and obsessive-compulsive symptoms in relation to nutritional status and outcome in severe anorexia nervosa. Psychiatry Research, 2012 Jun 14
- Duclos J, Vibert S, Mattar L, Godart N. Expressed Emotion in Families of Patients with Eating Disorders: A Review of the Literature. Current Psychiatry Reviews 2012;8(3):183-202.
- Mattar L, Pichard C, Godart N, Melchior JC. Can birth weight predict later body composition in anorexia nervosa? European Journal of clinical Nutrition, 2012 1-4.
- Mattar L, Pichard C, et al. Underweight Patients with Anorexia Nervosa: Comparison of Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis Using 5 Equations to DXA Clinical Nutrition, 2011 Dec 30(6):746-52.
- Mattar L, Godart N, Melchior JC, Pichard C. Anorexia nervosa and the nutritional assessment: Contribution of body composition measurements. Nutrition Research Reviews 2011 Mar 8:1-7.
- Mattar L, Huas C, Duclos J, Apfel A, Godart N. Relationship between Malnutrition and Depression or Anxiety in Anorexia Nervosa: A Critical Review of the Literature. Journal of Affective Disorders 2011 Aug;132(3):311-8.
- Mattar L, Mattar MA, Batal M, Mouneimne Y, Obeid OA. Stimulation of postprandial in vivo glycogenesis and lipogenesis of rats fed high fructose diet with varied phosphate content. Nutrition Research, 2010 Feb; 30(2):151-5.
* Corresponding author
French National Guidelines for Anorexia Nervosa : Haute Autorité de Santé (HAS)/ Association Française pour le Développement des Approches Spécialisées dans les Troubles du Comportement Alimentaire (AFDAS-TCA) http://www.has-sante.fr/portail/jcms/c_985715/anorexie-mentale-prise-en-charge (France, Sept 2010).
Communication and International Conferences
- Ouaijan K, Juvelekian G, Ghattas N, Mattar L INDICATORS OF OPTIMAL NUTRITION SUPPORT IN INTENSIVE CARE UNIT CAN BE IMPROVED BY A MULTIFACETED INTERVENTION: IMPLEMENTATION OF A DEFINED PROTOCOL AND MULTIDISCIPLINARY ROUNDS ESPEN 2019, September 2019, Poland. Poster presentation.
- Mattar L., Abi Nader P. et al. Results from the First Lebanon’s Physical Activity Report Card for Children and Youth (2018) XII International Epidemiological Association-Eastern Mediterranean Region Scientific Meeting 2019, February 2019, Beirut, Lebanon. Poster presentation
- Abi Nader P., Mattar L., et al. Results from the First Lebanon’s Physical Activity Report Card for Children and Youth (2018) Movement to Move conference 2018, November 2018, Australia. Poster presentation
- Mattar L , Juvelekian G, Diab N , Khoury M , Ouaijan K Prediction of Optimal Nutrition Support using the Nutrition Risk in Critically Ill (NUTRIC) Score and identification of the Common Barriers to Reach Enteral Nutrition Target in an Intensive Care Unit ASPEN 2018, January 2018, Las Vegas. Poster presentation.
- Mattar L, et al. Evaluation of nutrition support practices: Results from the first national survey in hospitals across Lebanon. ESPEN 2016, September 2016, Copenhagen. Poster presentation.
- Mattar L. Medium term effect of the seven-minute high intensity workout on body weight, lean body mass, grip strength and heart rate. Obesity Week, Los Angeles 2015. Poster presentation.
- Mattar L, Zeeni N, Bassil M. Effect of movie violence on mood, stress, appetite perception and food preferences in a random population. Obesity Week, Boston 2014. Poster presentation.
- Bachand MP, Mattar L (oral presenter), Hébuterne X, Cano N, Schneider S. Evaluation des pratiques d’hydratation chez les patients en nutrition entérale. Journée Française de Nutrition (JFN). December 2013. Oral Presentation.
- Mattar L, Pichard C, et al. Underweight Patients with Anorexia Nervosa: Comparison of Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis Using 5 Equations to DXA. International Conference on Eating Disorders (ICED). May 2012. Austin, Texas, USA. Oral presentation.
- Mattar L, Godart N, Melchior JC and Pichard C, et al. Underweight Patients with Anorexia Nervosa: Comparison of Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis Using Five Equations to Dual X-Ray Absorptiometry. 33rd ESPEN Congress. September 2011. Gothenburg, Sweden. Outstanding Poster communication.
- Mattar L, Coulon N, Godart N. The course of depression, anxiety, obsessionality and social phobia symptoms in relation to malnutrition in anorexia nervosa. The 10th London International Eating Disorders Conference. March 2011. London, UK. Paper presentation.
- Mattar L, Falissard B, Godart N. Body composition components in relation to psychological status in anorexia nervosa. ECED conférence. September 2011 ; Florence, Italy. Poster communication.
- Mattar L, Coulon N, Godart N. Symptômes dépressifs et anxieux en relation avec la renutrition chez les patients atteints d’anorexie mentale. Congrès International Francophone d’Addictologie. Octobre 2010 ; Nantes, France. Poster communication.
Jeammet P, Godart N, Mattar L. Anorexie Mentale, in Manuel de Psychiatrie, JD Guelfi and F Rouillon (Eds); Masson-Paris 2011.
- PhD Universite Pierre et Marie Curie (Paris IV), France
- MSc American University of Beirut, Lebanon
- BSc American University of Beirut, Lebanon
Assistant Professor of Nutrition
Office: Nicol 525