Passionate about Nutrition, Lama pursued her BSc and MSc in nutritional sciences at the American University of Beirut, Lebanon. She followed her passion even further and achieved a PhD specialized in eating disorders and behaviors at University of Pierre & Marie-Curie in Paris, France (2011).
Lama believes that nutrition is the cornerstone of the medical therapy for many diseases. This belief in the therapeutic aspect of nutrition made her practice clinical dietetics in various specialized units in the USA, Switzerland, Lebanon and France. She gained a broadened experience by completing a post-doctoral project on cancer and malnutrition in hospitals.
Besides her clinical practice, Lama is passionate for teaching and research. She taught graduate and undergraduate nutrition courses at the American University of Beirut and is now Assistant Professor at the Lebanese American University. She was invited as guest speaker to several international conferences and publishes extensively in peer-reviewed journals. She got awarded from the French Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs an Excellence scholarship (2010) and from King’s College in London, a research Excellence fellowship (2012).
Publications in peer-reviewed journals
1. Gauthier C, Hassler C, Mattar L et al. Symptoms of depression and anxiety in Anorexia Nervosa: Links with plasma tryptophan and serotonin metabolism . Psychoneuroendocrinology; 2013
2. Mattar L, Huas C, EVHAN group Godart N. Relationship between affective symptoms and malnutrition intensity in severe Anorexia Nervosa PlosOne 2012;7(11):e49380
3. Mattar L, Thiebaud MR, Huas C, Godart N. Depression, anxiety and obsessive-compulsive symptoms in relation to nutritional status and outcome in severe anorexia nervosa. Psychiatry Research, 2012 Jun 14
4. Duclos J, Vibert S, Mattar L, Godart N. Expressed Emotion in Families of Patients with Eating Disorders: A Review of the Literature. Current Psychiatry Reviews 2012;8(3):183-202.
5. Mattar L, Pichard C, Godart N, Melchior JC. Can birth weight predict later body composition in anorexia nervosa? European Journal of clinical Nutrition, 2012 1-4.
6. Mattar L, Pichard C, et al. Underweight Patients with Anorexia Nervosa: Comparison of Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis Using 5 Equations to DXA Clinical Nutrition, 2011 Dec 30(6):746-52.
7. Mattar L, Godart N, Melchior JC, Pichard C. Anorexia nervosa and the nutritional assessment: Contribution of body composition measurements. Nutrition Research Reviews 2011 Mar 8:1-7.
8. Mattar L, Huas C, Duclos J, Apfel A, Godart N. Relationship between Malnutrition and Depression or Anxiety in Anorexia Nervosa: A Critical Review of the Literature. Journal of Affective Disorders 2011 Aug;132(3):311-8.
9. Mattar L, Mattar MA, Batal M, Mouneimne Y, Obeid OA. Stimulation of postprandial in vivo glycogenesis and lipogenesis of rats fed high fructose diet with varied phosphate content. Nutrition Research, 2010 Feb; 30(2):151-5.
French National Guidelines for Anorexia Nervosa : Haute Autorité de Santé (HAS)/ Association Française pour le Développement des Approches Spécialisées dans les Troubles du Comportement Alimentaire (AFDAS-TCA) http://www.has-sante.fr/portail/jcms/c_985715/anorexie-mentale-prise-en-charge (France, Sept 2010).
Communication and International Conferences
1. Bachand MP, Mattar L (oral presenter), Hébuterne X, Cano N, Schneider S. Evaluation des pratiques d’hydratation chez les patients en nutrition entérale. Journée Française de Nutrition (JFN). December 2013. Oral Presentation.
2. Mattar L, Pichard C, et al. Underweight Patients with Anorexia Nervosa: Comparison of Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis Using 5 Equations to DXA. International Conference on Eating Disorders (ICED). May 2012. Austin, Texas, USA. Oral presentation.
3. Mattar L, Godart N, Melchior JC and Pichard C, et al. Underweight Patients with Anorexia Nervosa: Comparison of Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis Using Five Equations to Dual X-Ray Absorptiometry. 33rd ESPEN Congress. September 2011. Gothenburg, Sweden. Outstanding Poster communication.
4. Mattar L, Coulon N, Godart N. The course of depression, anxiety, obsessionality and social phobia symptoms in relation to malnutrition in anorexia nervosa. The 10th London International Eating Disorders Conference. March 2011. London, UK. Paper presentation.
5. Mattar L, Falissard B, Godart N. Body composition components in relation to psychological status in anorexia nervosa. ECED conférence. September 2011 ; Florence, Italy. Poster communication.
6. Mattar L, Coulon N, Godart N. Symptômes dépressifs et anxieux en relation avec la renutrition chez les patients atteints d’anorexie mentale. Congrès International Francophone d’Addictologie. Octobre 2010 ; Nantes, France. Poster communication.
Jeammet P, Godart N, Mattar L. Anorexie Mentale, in Manuel de Psychiatrie, JD Guelfi and F Rouillon (Eds); Masson-Paris 2011.
* Ph.D. Universite Pierre et Marie Curie (Paris IV), France
* M.Sc. American University of Beirut, Lebanon
* B.Sc. American University of Beirut, Lebanon
Office: Nicol 308B