Dr. Jimmy Romanos is an assistant professor of Physics at LAU’s Natural Sciences Department. He joined LAU as a full-time faculty in Fall 2013.
Before returning to Lebanon, Dr. Romanos worked for two years in the oil and gas industry in Houston, Texas, where he led a team of researchers in developing sorbent materials for the transport and storage of natural gas.
Dr. Romanos received an M.S. in Physics, an M.S. in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, and a Ph.D. in Physics from the University of Missouri, specializing in hydrogen and natural gas storage in carbon-based nanomaterials.
Dr. Romanos’s research has been patented, published in renowned peer-reviewed journals, and presented at international conferences. He is an active member of the Materials Research Society (MRS), the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), and the American Physical Society (APS).
- J. Romanos, M. Beckner, D. Stalla, A. Tekeei, G. Suppes, S. Jalisatgi, M. Lee, F. Hawthorne, J.D. Robertson, L. Firlej, B. Kuchta, C. Wexler, P. Yu, P. Pfeifer, “Infrared study of boron-carbon chemical bonds in boron-doped activated carbon”, Carbon, 2012
- B. Kuchta, L. Firlej, A. Mohammadhosseini, P. Boulet, M. Beckner, J. Romanos, and P. Pfeifer, “Hypothetical High-Surface-Area Carbons with Exceptional Hydrogen Storage Capacities: Open Carbon Frameworks,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, JACS, vol. 134, pp. 15130-15137, 2012.
- J. Romanos, M. Beckner, T. Rash, L. Firlej, B. Kuchta, P. Yu, G. Suppes, C. Wexler, and P. Pfeifer, “Nanospace engineering of KOH-activated carbon”, IOP nanotechnology 23, 015401 2012.
- B. Kuchta, L. Firlej, A. Mohammadhosseini, M. Beckner, J. Romanos, and P. Pfeifer, “Open Carbon Frameworks - a Search for Optimal Geometry for Hydrogen Storage” J Mol. Model., 2012.
- J. Romanos, J. Burress, P. Pfeifer, T. Rash, P. Shah, and G. Suppes, “High Surface Area Carbon and Process for Its Production”, US Patent App. 13/790,831, 2013
- Ph.D. Physics, University of Missouri, USA
- M.S. Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, University of Missouri, USA
- M.S. Physics, University of Missouri, USA
- Maitrîse in Fundamental Physics, Lebanese University, Lebanon
Assistant Professor of Physics
Office: Block A 711E