Dr. Jimmy Romanos is an assistant professor of Physics in the Department of Natural Sciences. He joined LAU as a full-time faculty in Fall 2013.
Before returning to Lebanon, Dr. Romanos worked for two years in the oil and gas industry in Houston, Texas, where he led a team of researchers in developing sorbent materials for the transport and storage of natural gas.
Dr. Romanos received an MS in Physics, an MS in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, and a PhD in Physics from the University of Missouri, specializing in hydrogen and natural gas storage in carbon-based nanomaterials.
Dr. Romanos’s research has been patented, published in renowned peer-reviewed journals, and presented at international conferences. He is an active member of the Materials Research Society (MRS), the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), and the American Physical Society (APS).
- R. Roukos, J. Romanos, S. A. Dargham, and D. Chaumont, “Quantification of relaxor behavior in (1 − x)Na0.5Bi0.5TiO3 – xCaTiO3 lead-free ceramics system,” Journal of the European Ceramic Society, vol. 39, no. 7, pp. 2297-2303, 2019.
- J. Romanos, M. Beckner, M. Prosniewski, T. Rash, M. Lee, J. David Robertson, Lucyna Firlej, B. Kuchta, and P. Pfeifer. “Boron-neutron Capture on Activated Carbon for Hydrogen Storage,” Scientific Reports, vol. 9, no. 1, p. 2971, 2019.
- M. Prosniewski, T. Rash, J. Romanos, A. Gillespie, D. Stalla, E. Knight, A. Smith, P. Pfeifer, “Effect of cycling and thermal control on the storage and dynamics of a 40-L monolithic adsorbed natural gas tank”, Fuel, vol. 244, pp. 447-453, 2019
- R. Roukos, S. A. Dargham, J. Romanos, F. Barakat, and D. Chaumont, “Complex structural contribution of the morphotropic phase boundary in Na0.5Bi0.5TiO3 - CaTiO3 system,” Ceramics International, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 4467-4473, 2019.
- J. Romanos, S. Abou Dargham, R. Roukos, and P. Pfeifer, “Local Pressure of Supercritical Adsorbed Hydrogen in Nanopores,” Materials, vol. 11, no. 11, 2018.
- J. Romanos, S. Abou Dargham, R. Roukos, and P. Pfeifer, “Properties of adsorbed supercritical methane film in nanopores,” AIP Advances, vol. 8, no. 12, p. 125011, 2018.
- M. Prosniewski, A. Gillespie, E. Knight, T. Rash, D. Stalla, J. Romanos, and A. Smith, “Evaluating methane adsorbed film densities on activated carbon in dynamic systems,” Journal of Energy Storage, vol 20, pp. 357–363, 2018.
- J. Romanos, S. A. Dargham, M. Prosniewski, R. Roukos, F. Barakat, and P. Pfeifer, “Structure–Function Relations for Gravimetric and Volumetric Methane Storage Capacities in Activated Carbon,” ACS Omega, vol. 3, no. 11, pp. 15119-15124, 2018.
- P. Santos, S. Rackey, J. Pitts, A Hilber, K. Seshasai, P. Vergel, J. Romanos. “Virtual Gaseous Fuel Pipeline”, United States Patent and Trademark Office, World Intellectual Property Organization, Publication number: 9,863,581 (2018) (Patent)
- J Romanos, F. Barakat, and S. Abou Dargham, “Nanoporous Graphene Monolith for Hydrogen Storage,” Materials Today: Proceedings, vol. 5, no. 9, Part 2, pp. 17478-17483, 2018.
- J. Romanos, T. Rash, S. Abou Dargham, M. Prosniewski, F. Barakat, P. Pfeifer Cycling and Regeneration of Adsorbed Natural Gas in Microporous Materials, Energy & Fuels, vol. 31, pp. 14332-14337, 2017.
- T. Rash, A. Gillespie, B.P. Holbrook, L.H. Hiltzik, J. Romanos, Y.C. Soo, S. Sweany, and P. Pfeifer, “Microporous carbon monolith synthesis and production for methane storage.” Fuel, vol. 200, pp. 371-379, 2017.
- J. Romanos, J. Burress, P. Pfeifer, T. Rash, P. Shah, and G. Suppes, “High Surface Area Carbon and Process for Its Production”, United States Patent and Trademark Office/ World Intellectual Property Organization/ European Publication number: US 9,517,445 B2, 2016 (Patent)
- J. Romanos, S. Sweany, T. Rash, L. Firlej, B. Kuchta, J.C. Idrobo, and P. Pfeifer, “Engineered porous carbon for high volumetric methane storage.” Adsorpt. Sci. & Technol. 32, 981-991, 2014.
- L. Firlej, M. Beckner, J. Romanos, P. Pfeifer, and B. Kuchta, “Different approach to estimation of hydrogen-binding energy in nanospace-engineered activated carbons.” J. Phys. Chem. C 118, 955-961, 2014.
- J. Romanos, P. Santos, S. Rackey “Methods, Materials, and Apparatuses Associated with Adsorbing Hydrocarbon Gas Mixtures”, United States Patent and Trademark Office/World Intellectual Property Organization, WO2014144595 A2, 2014 (Patent)
- B. Kuchta, L. Firlej, A. Mohammadhosseini, M. Beckner, J. Romanos, and P. Pfeifer, “Open carbon frameworks—a search for optimal geometry for hydrogen storage.” J. Mol. Mod. 19, 4079-4087, 2013.
- J. Romanos, M. Beckner, D. Stalla, A. Tekeei, G. Suppes, S. Jalisatgi, M.W. Lee, M.F. Hawthorne, J.D. Robertson, L. Firlej, B. Kuchta, C. Wexler, P. Yu, and P. Pfeifer, “Infrared study of boron-carbon chemical bonds in boron-doped activated carbon.” Carbon 54, 208-214, 2013.
- B. Kuchta, L. Firlej, A. Mohammadhosseini, P. Boulet, M.W. Beckner, J. Romanos, and P. Pfeifer, “Hypothetical high-surface-area carbons with exceptional hydrogen storage capacities: open carbon frameworks.” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 134, 15130-15137 , 2012.
- J. Romanos, M. Beckner, T. Rash, L. Firlej, B. Kuchta, P. Yu, G. Suppes, C. Wexler, and P. Pfeifer, “Nanospace engineering of KOH activated carbon.” Nanotechnology 23, 015401, 2012.
- PhD Physics, University of Missouri, USA
- MS Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, University of Missouri, USA
- MS Physics, University of Missouri, USA
- Maitrîse in Fundamental Physics, Lebanese University, Lebanon
Assistant Professor of Physics
Office: Block A 711E