Hussein F. Hassan
Dr. Hussein Hassan is associate professor of Food Science and Technology. He is also the associate chairperson of the Department of Natural Sciences. Dr. Hassan received his BSc and MSc in Food Technology from the American University of Beirut and his PhD in Food Process Engineering from McGill University, Canada. He is the recipient of the George Stewart International Competition Award (2011) by the Institute of Food Technologists (USA), in addition to the Stumbo Paper Competition Award (twice in 2010 and 2011) by the Institute of Food Thermal Processing Specialists, USA.
Dr. Hassan’s research interests revolve around the area of non-microbial food safety and food processing, in specific, assessing the effects of processing technologies on the quality of locally made foods, in addition to identifying and preventing the occurrence of toxic residues in foods manufactured and marketed in Lebanon. Dr. Hassan’s research has been published and presented so far in more than twenty international journals and scientific meetings.
In addition, Dr. Hassan carried out several food safety related consultancy projects for the Quality Unit of the Lebanese Ministry of Economy, Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), USAID, Save the children, Mercy Corps, among others.
- دليل للحد من فاقد الأغذية ما بعد الحصاد في سلسلة إنتاج التفاح في لبنان، منظمة الأغذية والزراعة الأمم المتحدة )الفاو( ووزارة الزراعة اللبنانية، بيروت، 2018 http://www.fao.org/3/I7705AR/i7705ar.pdf
In: Radio-Frequency Heating in Food Processing: Principles and Applications, CRC Press, Taylor and Francis Group, 2014:
- Radio-Frequency and Microwave Applications: Similarities, Advantages, and Limitations; Hussein Hassan, Yetenayet Tola, and Hosahalli Ramaswamy, 21-29.
- Radio Frequency Heating Effects on Microbial Destruction; Hussein Hassan and Hosahalli S. Ramaswamy, 191-199.
- Christelle Bou-Mitri, Paula Hage Boutros, Joelle Makhlouf, Maya Abou Jaoudeh, Najwa El Gerges, Jessy El Hayek Fares, Elie Bou Yazbeck and Hussein Hassan. 2019. Exposure assessment of the consumers living in Mount Lebanon directorate to antibiotics through medication and red meat intake: A cross-sectional study. Veterinary World, 12(9): 1395-1407 (Q2).
- Dia Constantin Bandaly & Hussein F. Hassan. 2019. Postponement implementation in integrated production and inventory plan under deterioration effects: a case study of a juice producer with limited storage capacity. Production Planning & Control, DOI: 10.1080/09537287.2019.1636354 (Q1).
- Elaridi J., Dimassi H.and Hassan H. Aflatoxin M1 and ochratoxin A in baby formulae marketed in Lebanon: Occurrence and safety evaluation. 2019. Food Control, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2019.06.006 (Q1).
- S. Kabrite, C. Bou-Mitri, J. Fares, H. Hassan and J. Boumosleh. 2019. Identification and dietary exposure assessment of tetracycline and penicillin residues in fluid milk, yogurt, and labneh: A cross-sectional study in Lebanon. Veterinary World, 12(4): 527-534 (co-corresponding author; Q2).
- L. Mattar, M. G. Abiad, A. Chalak, M. Diab, H. Hassan. 2018. Attitudes and behaviors shaping household food waste generation: Lessons from Lebanon. Journal of Cleaner Production 198: 1219-1223 (Q1).
- Maya Bassil, Farah Daou, Hussein Hassan, Osama Yamani, Joelle Abi Kharma, Zouheir Attieh, Jomana Elaridi. 2018. Lead, cadmium and arsenic in human milk and their socio-demographic and lifestyle determinants in Lebanon. Chemosphere 191: 911-921 (Q1).
- Hassan H., and Dimassi H. 2018. Self-reported food safety knowledge and practices of Lebanese food handlers in Lebanese households. British Food Journal; doi: 10.1108/BFJ-04-2017-0239 (Q1).
- Jomana Elaridi, Maya Bassil, Joelle Abi Kharma, Farah Daou, Hussein F. Hassan. 2017. Analysis of Aflatoxin M1 in Breast Milk and Its Association with Nutritional and Socio-economic Status of Lactating Mothers in Lebanon. Journal of Food Protection 80: 1737-1741 (Q1).
- Hassan H., and Dimassi H. 2017. Usage and Understanding of Food Labels among Lebanese Supermarket Shoppers, International Journal of Consumer Studies 41:570-575 (Q2).
- Hassan H., Elaridi J. and Bassil M. 2017. Evaluation of Gluten in Gluten-Free Labeled Foods & Assessment of Exposure Level to Gluten among Celiac Patients in Lebanon. International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition 68: 881-886 (Q1).
- Hassan H., Dimassi H. and El Amin R. 2015. Survey and Analysis of Internal Temperatures of Lebanese Domestic Refrigerators, International Journal of Refrigeration 50, 165-171 (Q1).
- Hassan H. and Kassaify Z. 2014. The Risks Associated with Aflatoxins M1 Occurrence in Lebanese Dairy Products, Food Control 37, 68-72 (Q1).
- Hassan H. and Dimassi H. 2014. Food safety and handling knowledge and practices of Lebanese university students, Food Control 40, 127-133 (Q1).
- Hassan H. and Ramaswamy H. 2013. Bio-Validation of Bi-axial Rotary Thermal Processing, LWT, Food Science and Technology 53, 418-425 (Q1).
- Hassan H. and Ramaswamy H. 2012. Overall and Fluid-to-particle Heat Transfer Coefficients associated with Canned Particulate non-Newtonian Fluids during Free Bi-axial Rotary Thermal Processing. International Journal of Food Engineering, 8 (3). DOI: 10.1515/1556-3758.2392 (Q2).
- Hassan H. F. and Ramaswamy H. S. 2011. Heat resistance of G. stearothermophilus and C. sporogenes in meat and carrot alginate purees. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation 35, 376-385 (Q2).
- Hassan H. F. and Ramaswamy H. S. 2011. Optimization of Instrumental Texture of Carrot and Meat Alginate Simulated Particles for use in Thermal Processing Biological Validation Studies. Int’l Journal of Food Properties 15, 1319-1335 (Q2).
- Hassan H. F. and Ramaswamy H. 2011. Measurement and targeting of thermophysical properties of carrot and meat based alginate particles for thermal processing applications. Journal of Food Engineering 107, 117-126 (Q1).
International Conferences (since 2015)
- L. Mattar, MG Abiad, A. Chalak, M. Diab and H. Hassan, Attitudes and Behaviors Shaping Household Food Waste Generation: Lessons From Lebanon, Annual Meeting of the Institute of Food Technologists, New Orleans, LO, USA, June 2-5, 2019.
- Poster: Hassan H., Bassil M., Aridi J. Dimassi, H. Analysis of Aflatoxin M1 in Breast Milk and Its Association with Nutritional and Socio-economic Status of Lactating Mothers in Lebanon, International Association for Food Protection (IAFP)’s European Symposium on Food Safety, Stockholm, Sweden, April 2018.
- Poster: Hassan H. and Dimassi, H. Self-reported food safety knowledge and practices of Lebanese food handlers in Lebanese households, International Association for Food Protection (IAFP) Annual Meeting, Tampa, USA, July 2017.
- Poster: Hassan H., El Aridi J. and Bassil M., Evaluation of Gluten in Gluten-Free Labeled Foods & Assessment of Exposure Level to Gluten among Celiac Patients in Lebanon, International Union of Food Science and Technology (IUFoST) Annual Meeting, Dublin, Ireland, August 2016.
- Poster: Hassan H. and Dimassi, H. Usage and Understanding of Food Labels among Lebanese Supermarket Shoppers, Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) Annual Meeting, Chicago, USA, July 2015.
- PhD in Food Science and Agricultural Chemistry, 2011, McGill University, Canada
- MSc in Food Technology, 2007, American University of Beirut, Lebanon
- BSc in Nutrition and Dietetics, 2005, American University of Beirut, Lebanon
Hussein F. Hassan
Associate Professor of Food Science and Technology
Associate Chairperson, Department of Natural Sciences
Office: Block A 818/Nicol Hall 527