Dr. Costantine Daher was appointed interim dean of the Lebanese American University’s School of Arts and Sciences in September 2018. He joined LAU as an instructor in 1991. After completing his PhD in 1998, he was promoted to the rank of assistant professor, then to the rank of associate professor in 2005 and recently to the rank of a professor. He served as chairperson of the Department of Natural Sciences between 2005 and 2014. He also served as one of the assistant deans in the School of Arts & Sciences.
Dr. Daher has published around 36 peer-reviewed articles in various international journals. His research interests mainly focus on lipoprotein synthesis, secretion and metabolism in addition to natural product research in relation to cancer, lipidemia, glycemia, inflammation and ulcer.
Dr. Daher has served and chaired several university councils, worked on biology curricula review (BS and MS) and updating lab facilities. He has supervised several M.S. and PhD students, organized poster conferences, and actively participated in the LAU accreditation process. Currently, Dr. Daher is the Chair of the Institutional Review Board (IRB).
- Hamid E. Daaboul, Carole Dagher, Robin I. Taleb, Kikki Bodman-Smith, Wassim N. Shebaby, Mirvat El-Sibai, Mohamad A. Mroueh, Costantine F. Daher (2018). The chemotherapeutic effect of β-2-himachalen-6-ol in chemically induced skin tumorigenesis. Journal: Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy 103:443-452.
- Hamid Daaboul, Costantine F. Daher, Kikki Bodman-smith, Robin Taleb, Wassim Shebaby, Carole Dagher, Joelle Boulos, Mohamad Mroueh (2017). Antitumor activity of β-2-himachalen-6-ol in colon cancer is mediated through its inhibition of the PI3K and MAPK pathways. Journal: Chemico-Biological Interactions, 275: 162-170.
- Hamid E Daaboul, Costantine F Daher, Robin I Taleb, Joelle C. Boulos, Kikki Bodman-Smith, Petra Boukamp, Wassim N Shebaby, Carol Dagher, Mirvat El-Sibai, and Mohamad A Mroueh (2017). β-2-himachalen-6-ol protects against skin cancer development in vitro and in vivo. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology 69(11):1552-1564.
- Heba Attia, Mohammad Mroueh, Wissam Faour, Wassim Shebaby, Costantine Daher, Hayam Ashour, Tafida (2017): Synthesis of new pyrazolo[3,4-d]pyrimidine derivatives and evaluation of their anti-inflammatory and anticancer activities. Chemical Biology & Drug Design, 2016 Dec 29. DOI: 10.1111/cbdd.12929
- Wassim N Shebaby, Mohamad A Mroueh, Petra Boukamp, Robin I Taleb RI, Kikki Bodman-Smith, Mirvat El-Sibai and Costantine F Daher (2017). Wild carrot pentane-based fractions suppress proliferation of human HaCaT keratinocytes and protect against chemically-induced skin cancer. Under review in BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 17(1):149. doi: 10.1186/s12906-017-166.
- Michael Anthony Nammour, Nicole Danielle Nammour, Marlene F Daher, Mohamad Mroueh, Joey C Daher and Costantine F Daher (2016). Selected Edible Plant-Derived Therapies for Controlling Dyslipidemia. Journal of Food and Nutritional Disorders 5:4; http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/2324-9323.1000205
- Robin I. Taleb, Paul Nejm, Joelle Boulos, Wassim Shebaby, Sally Demerdjian, Essa Harriri, Mirvat El-Sibai, Costantine Daher, Mohamad Mroueh (2016). β-2-Himachalen-6-ol: A Novel Anticancer Sesquiterepene Unique to the Lebanese Wild Carrot. Under review in Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 190: 59-67.
- Maya Bassil, Costantine Daher, Mohammad Mroueh, Nadine Zeeni (2015). Salvia libanotica improves glycemia and serum lipid profile in rats fed a high fat diet. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 15:384. DOI 10.1186/s12906-015-0917-8
- Wissam H. Faour, Mohamed Mroueh, Costantine F. Daher, Rasha Y. Elbayaa, Hanan M. Ragab, Asser I. Ghoneim, Ahmed I. El-mallahh and Hayam M. A. Ashour (2015). Synthesis of some new amide-linked bipyrazoles and their evaluation as antiinflammatory and analgesic agents. Journal of Enzyme Inhibition and Medicinal Chemistry, 20:1-16.
- Zgheib P, Daher C F, Mroueh M, Fakih A, El-Sibai M. (2015). Daucus Carota Pentane/diethylether Fraction Inhibits Motility and Reduces Invasion of Cancer Cells. Chemotherapy, 60: 302-309.
- Shebaby WN, Daher CF, El-Sibai M, Bodman-Smith K, Mansour A, Karam MC, Mroueh M. Antioxidant and hepatoprotective activities of the oil fractions from wild carrot (Daucus carota ssp. carota). Pharmaceutical Biology 2015 Sep;53(9):1285-94. doi: 10.3109/13880209.2014.976349
- Mohammad Mroueh, Costantine Daher, Essa Hariri, Sally Demirdjian, Samih Isber, Eun Sang Choid, Babak Mirtamizdoust Hassan H. Hammud (2015). Magnetic property, DFT calculation, and biological activity of bis[(µ2-chloro)chloro(1,10-phenanthroline) copper(II)] complex. Chemico-Biological Interaction; 231: 53-60.
- Tawil, M, Daher, C., Mroueh, Abi Habib,R. (2015). Wild Carrot Oil Extract is Selectively Cytotoxic to Human Acute Myeloid Leukemia Cells. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention 16(2):761-7.
- Clara Tenkerian, Mirvat El-Sibai, Costantine F Daher, Mohamad Mroueh (2015) Hepatoprotective, Antioxidant, and Anticancer Effects of the Tragopogon porrifolius Methanolic Extract. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine Volume 2015 (2015), Article ID 161720, 10 pages. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/ 161720
- Zeeni N, Bassil M, Fromentin G, Chaumontet C, Darcel N, Tome D, Daher CF (2015). Environmental enrichment and cafeteria diet attenuate the response to chronic variable stress in rats. Physiology and Behavior 2015 Feb; 139: 41-9.
- Shebaby W.N., Mroueh M., Bodman-Smith K., Mansour A., Taleb R.I., El-Sibai M. Daher C.F. (2015). Daucus carota Pentane-Based Fractions Suppress Proliferation and Induce Apoptosis in Human Colon Adenocarcinoma HT-29 Cells by Inhibiting the MAPK and PI3K Pathways. Journal of Medicinal Food. 2015 Jan 19. [Epub ahead of print]; PMID: 25599142.
- Shebaby WN, Mroueh M, Bodman-Smith K, Mansour A, Taleb RI, Daher CF, El-Sibai M. (2014). Daucus carota pentane-based fractions arrest the cell cycle and increase apoptosis in MDA-MB-231 breast cancer cells. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine 2014 Oct 10;14:387. doi: 10.1186/1472-6882-14-387.
- Zeeni N, Daher CF, Saab L, Mroueh M. (2014). Tragopogon porrifolius improves serum lipid profile and increases short-term satiety in rats. Appetite. 2014 Jan; 72: 1-7. doi: 10.1016/j.appet.2013.09.023. Epub 2013 Oct 4. PMID:24099703
- Haytham Haddad, Wissam H. Faour, Mohammad Mroueh and Costantine F Daher (2013). Active ghrelin levels are modulated by in vivo treatment of rats with growth hormone through a possible positive feed-back loop. Endocrine Research 2013: 39(1):39-43. doi: 10.3109/07435800.2013.799484. Epub 2013 Jun 17. ; PMID: 23772680. (I.F. 1.278). Endocrinology (Q3)
- Zeeni N, Daher C, Darcel N, Chaumontet , Fromentin G, Tome D. A cafeteria diet modifies the response to chronic mild stress in rats. Stress. 2013 (2):211-9. doi:10.3109/10253890.2012.708952
- Wassim Nasri Shebaby, Mirvat El-Sibai, Kikki Bodman-Smith, Marc Christoph Karam, Mohamad Mroueh, and Costantine F Daher (2013). The antioxidant and anticancer effects of Wild Carrot oil extract. Phytotherapy Research. 27(5): 737-744. doi: 10.1002/ptr.4776.
- Abu Zeinab R., Mroueh M., Diab-Assaf M., Jurjus A., Wex B., Sakr A., Daher C.F. (2011). Chemopreventive effects of wild carrot oil against 7,12-dimethyl benz(a)anthracene-induced squamous cell carcinoma in mice. Pharmaceutical Biology, 49(9): 955-961.
- Hage Sleiman, R., Mroueh M., Daher, C.F. (2011). Pharmacological evaluation of aqueous extract of Althaea officinalis flower grown in Lebanon. Pharmaceutical Biology, 49(3): 327-333.
- Farhat, A.G., Moukarzel, S.R., El-Said, R.J. and Daher, C. F. (2010). Glycemic index of commonly consumed Lebanese mixed meals and Desserts. Asian Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2(2): 48-57.
- Lara Khouzami, Mohamad Mroueh and Costantine Daher (2009). The Role of Methanolic Extract of Quercus Infectoria bark in Lipemia, Glycemia, Gastric Ulcer and Bacterial growth. Journal of Medicinal Plant Research, 2(4), 224-230.
- Wehbe K., Mroueh M., Baroody G.M., Daher C. F. (2009). The role of aqueous and methanolic extract of Daucus carota in lipemia, glycemia, inflammation, gastric ulcer and bacterial growth. Journal of Complementary and Integrative Medicine, Vol.6 , Iss.1, Art.7.
- Haber, M.E., Daher, C.F., Karam, M.C., Baroody, G.M. (2009). Leishmania Major: Interleukin-13 increases hyperalgesia and the levels of Interleukin-1β and Interleukin-12 in rats infected with Leishmania major. Experimental Parasitology, 121: 224-229.
- Haddad N., Howland R.J., Baroody, G.M, Daher C.F. (2006). The modulatory effect of Leptin on the overall insulin production in ex-vivo normal rat pancreas. Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology 84: 157-162.
- Daher C.F., Koulajian K., Haddad N., Baroody, G.M. (2006). Effect of hydroxycut intake on fasted and postprandial lipemia in the rat. Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Part A, 69: 1587-1601.
- Daher C.F., Slaiby R., Haddad N., Baroody, G.M. (2006). Effect of acute and chronic moderate wine consumption on blood lipid profile in the rat model. Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Part A, 69:1117-1131.
- Daher, C.F., Karmen G Baroody, George M Baroody (2006). Effect of Urtica dioica extract intake upon blood lipid profile and inflammation in the rat model. Fitoterapia, 77: 183-188.
- Daher C.F., Abou khalil J., Baroody, G.M. (2005). Effect of acute and chronic grapefruit, orange, and pineapple juice intake on blood lipid profile in normolipidemic rat. Medical Science Monitor, 11(12): BR465-472.
- Sakr J.J., Mroueh M., Daher C.F. (2004). The effects of oil enriched diet on plasma lipid profile, glucose, and coagulation time rats. Pan Arab Medical Journal, 1(4): 25-31.
- Daher, C.F., Khoury, C.I., Nassar, C.F. (2004). Effect of Theophylline on L-Alanine Absorption In The Rat Jejunum. Food and Chemical Toxicology 42, 1971-1976.
- Daher, C.F., Berberi, R.N., Baroody, G.M. (2003). Effect of Acute and Chronic Moderate Alcohol Consumption On Fasted And Postprandial Lipemia In The Rat. Food and Chemical Toxicology 41, 1551-1559.
- Daher, C.F., Baroody, G.M., Howland, R.J. (2003). Effect Of A Surfactant, Tween 80, On The Formation And Secretion Of Chylomicrons In The Rat. Food and Chemical Toxicology 41, 575-582.
- PhD in Biomedical Sciences, 1998, University of Surrey, England
- MS in Physiology, 1988, American University of Beirut, Lebanon
- BS in Biology, 1986, American University of Beirut, Lebanon
Professor of Biology
Interim Dean, School of Arts and Sciences
Office: Block A, Room 812/Nicol, 522D