Dr. Costantine Daher joined LAU as an instructor in 1991. After completing his Ph.D. in 1998, he was promoted to the rank of assistant professor and then to the rank of associate professor in 2005 and recently to the rank of a professor. He served as a Chairperson of the Natural Sciences Department between 2005 and 2014. Currently he is one of the Assistant Deans in the School of Arts & Sciences.
Dr. Daher has published around 30 peer-reviewed articles in various international journals. His research interests mainly focus on lipoprotein synthesis, secretion and metabolism in addition to natural product research in relation to cancer, lipidemia, glycemia, inflammation and ulcer.
Dr. Daher has served and chaired several university councils, worked on biology curricula review (B.S. and M.S.) and updating lab facilities. He has supervised several M.S. and Ph.D. students, organized poster conferences, and actively participated in the LAU accreditation process. Currently, Dr. Daher is the Chair of the Institutional Review Board (IRB).
- Zeeni N, Daher CF, Saab L, Mroueh M. (2014). Tragopogon porrifolius improves serum lipid profile and increases short-term satiety in rats. Appetite. 2014 Jan; 72: 1-7.
- Shebaby WN, Mroueh M, Bodman-Smith K, Mansour A, Taleb RI, Daher CF, El-Sibai M. (2014). Daucus carota pentane-based fractions arrest the cell cycle and increase apoptosis in MDA-MB-231 breast cancer cells. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine 2014 Oct 10;14:387. doi: 10.1186/1472-6882-14-387.
- Shebaby W.N., Mroueh M., Bodman-Smith K., Mansour A., Taleb R.I., El-Sibai M. Daher C.F. (2015). Effect of Daucus carota Pentane-Based Fractions on the MAPK and PI3K Pathways in Human Colon Adenocarcinoma HT-29 Cells. Journal of Medicinal Food. 2015 Jan 19. [Epub ahead of print]; PMID: 25599142.
- Zeeni N, Bassil M, Fromentin G, Chaumontet C, Darcel N, Tome D, Daher CF (2015). Environmental enrichment and cafeteria diet attenuate the response to chronic variable stress in rats. Physiology and Behavior 2015 Feb; 139: 41-9.
- Clara Tenkerian, Mirvat El-Sibai, Costantine F Daher, Mohamad Mroueh (2015) Hepatoprotective, Antioxidant, and Anticancer Effects of the Tragopogon porrifolius Methanolic Extract. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine Volume 2015 (2015), Article ID 161720, 10 pages. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/ 161720
- Tawil, M, Daher, C., Mroueh, Abi Habib,R. (2015). Wild Carrot Oil Extract is Selectively Cytotoxic to Human Acute Myeloid Leukemia Cells. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention 16(2):761-7
- Mohammad Mroueh, Costantine Daher, Essa Hariri, Sally Demirdjian, Samih Isber, Eun Sang Choid, Babak Mirtamizdoust Hassan H. Hammud (2015). Magnetic property, DFT calculation, and biological activity of bis[(µ2-chloro)chloro(1,10-phenanthroline) copper(II)] complex. Chemico-Biological Interaction; 231: 53-60.
- Shebaby WN, Daher CF, El-Sibai M, Bodman-Smith K, Mansour A, Karam MC, Mroueh M. Antioxidant and hepatoprotective activities of the oil fractions from wild carrot (Daucus carota ssp. carota). Pharm Biol. 2015 Apr 9:1-10.
- Zgheib, P, Costantine F Daher, Mohamad Mroueh, Fakih A, El-Sibai M. (2015). The Daucus Carota Pentane-diethylether Fraction Inhibits the Motility and Invasion of Cancer Cells. Chemotherapy (In press).
- Daher, C.F., Baroody, G.M., Howland, R.J. (2003). Effect Of A Surfactant, Tween 80, On The Formation And Secretion Of Chylomicrons In The Rat. Food and Chemical Toxicology 41, 575-582.
- Daher, C.F., Berberi, R.N., Baroody, G.M. (2003). Effect of Acute and Chronic Moderate Alcohol Consumption On Fasted And Postprandial Lipemia In The Rat. Food and Chemical Toxicology 41, 1551-1559.
- Daher, C.F., Khoury, C.I., Nassar, C.F. (2004). Effect of Theophylline on L-Alanine Absorption In The Rat Jejunum. Food and Chemical Toxicology 42, 1971-1976.
- Sakr J.J., Mroueh M., Daher C.F. (2004). The effects of oil enriched diet on plasma lipid profile, glucose, and coagulation time rats. Pan Arab Medical Journal, 1(4): 25-31.
- Daher C.F., Abou khalil J., Baroody, G.M. (2005). Effect of acute and chronic grapefruit, orange, and pineapple juice intake on blood lipid profile in normolipidemic rat. Medical Science Monitor, 11(12): BR465-472.
- Daher, C.F., Karmen G Baroody, George M Baroody (2006). Effect of Urtica dioica extract intake upon blood lipid profile and inflammation in the rat model. Fitoterapia, 77: 183-188.
- Daher C.F., Slaiby R., Haddad N., Baroody, G.M. (2006). Effect of acute and chronic moderate wine consumption on blood lipid profile in the rat model. Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Part A, 69:1117-1131.
- Daher C.F., Koulajian K., Haddad N., Baroody, G.M. (2006). Effect of hydroxycut intake on fasted and postprandial lipemia in the rat. Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Part A, 69: 1587-1601.
- Haddad N., Howland R.J., Baroody, G.M, Daher C.F. (2006). The modulatory effect of Leptin on the overall insulin production in ex-vivo normal rat pancreas. Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology 84: 157-162.
- Haber, M.E., Daher, C.F., Karam, M.C., Baroody, G.M. (2009). Leishmania Major: Interleukin-13 increases hyperalgesia and the levels of Interleukin-1β and Interleukin-12 in rats infected with Leishmania major. Experimental Parasitology, 121: 224-229. 11.
- Wehbe K., Mroueh M., Baroody G.M., Daher C. F. (2009). The role of aqueous and methanolic extract of Daucus carota in lipemia, glycemia, inflammation, gastric ulcer and bacterial growth. Journal of Complementary and Integrative Medicine, Vol.6 , Iss.1, Art.7.
- Lara Khouzami, Mohamad Mroueh and Costantine Daher (2009). The Role of Methanolic Extract of Quercus Infectoria bark in Lipemia, Glycemia, Gastric Ulcer and Bacterial growth. Journal of Medicinal Plants Research, 2(4), 224-230.
- Farhat, A.G., Moukarzel, S.R., El-Said, R.J. and Daher, C. F. (2010). Glycemic index of commonly consumed Lebanese mixed meals and Desserts. Asian Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2(2): 48-57.
- Hage Sleiman, R., Mroueh M., Daher, C.F. (2011). Pharmacological evaluation of aqueous extract of Althaea officinalis flower grown in Lebanon. Pharmaceutical Biology, 49(3): 327-333.
- Abu Zeinab R., Mroueh M., Diab-Assaf M., Jurjus A., Wex B., Sakr A., Daher C.F. (2011). Chemopreventive effects of wild carrot oil against 7,12-dimethyl benz(a)anthracene-induced squamous cell carcinoma in mice. Pharmaceutical Biology, 49(9): 955-961.
- Wassim Nasri Shebaby, Mirvat El-Sibai, Kikki Bodman-Smith, Marc Christoph Karam, Mohamad Mroueh, and Costantine F Daher (2013). The antioxidant and anticancer effects of Wild Carrot oil extract. Phytotherarpy Research. 27(5): 737-744.
- Zeeni N, Daher C, Darcel N, Chaumontet , Fromentin G, Tome D (2013). A cafeteria diet modifies the response to chronic mild stress in rats. Tragopogon Porrifolius improves serum lipid profile and increases short-term satiety in rats. Stress, 2:211-9.
- Haytham Haddad, Wissam H. Faour, Mohammad Mroueh and Costantine F Daher (2014). Active ghrelin levels are modulated by in vivo treatment of rats with growth hormone through a possible positive feed-back loop. Endocrine Research 2014: 39(1):39-43.
- Zeeni N, Daher CF, Saab L, Mroueh M. (2014). Tragopogon porrifolius improves serum lipid profile and increases short-term satiety in rats. Appetite. 2014; 72: 1-7.
- Ph.D. in Biomedical Sciences, 1998, University of Surrey, England
- M.S. in Physiology, 1988, American University of Beirut, Lebanon
- B.S. in Biology, 1986, American University of Beirut, Lebanon
Professor of Biology
Assistant Dean, School of Arts and Sciences
Office: Block A, Room 812