Andree S. Affeich is a full-time faculty member at the Department of Humanities. She holds a Master of Translation, a Master of Advanced Studies in Foreign Languages and Cultures, and a Ph.D. in Multilingual Lexicology and Terminology; Translation from the University of Lyon II in France. Before Joining LAU, she was an assistant professor of Terminology and Translation at the Holy Spirit University of Kaslik (USEK) from 2010 till 2015, and an associate dean of the Faculty of Letters from 2012 till 2015.
In July 2016, she was awarded a Fulbright scholarship by the American government, whereby she joined North Carolina State University in Raleigh for faculty development and research matters. At NC State, she worked on a research project concerning the role of language ideology in translating news media with Dr. Walt Wolfram, a distinguished professor of sociolinguistics.
She is the first Lebanese and Arab researcher to be elected member of the Pan-Latin Terminology Network “REALITER” at the General Assembly held at the Royal Academy of Belgium-Brussels in June 2015.
She was a visiting professor at the University of Lyon II, and a visiting researcher at the University of Manouba, Tunisia; moreover, she is a translator and revisor of translations.
In 2002, she was awarded a merit scholarship by the French Ministry of Higher Education and Research to pursue research in France.
She is the author of books, scientific contributions, book reviews and articles on translation and terminology published in national and international journals. She is involved in many cultural activities and conferences, and is an invited poet to many national and international cultural events.
- Affeich A., The Arabic Terminology of Internet.- Rupture and Continuity [in French], Preface by Pr. Dr. Hassan Hamze, Sarrebruck, Editions Universitaires Europeennes, 2011, 424 p.
- Affeich A., The Traveler from the East, Poems [in French], Preface by Dr. Sylvain Farge, Beirut, Dergham, 2011, 167 p.
- Affeich A. (in collaboration with Nisrine El-Saddik), Nusûr Jâniha, Beirut, Mukhtârât, 2004, 135 p., Translation from French into Arabic of Alexandre Najjar book Like a Drifting Eagle and Other Stories, Paris, Publisud, 1992, 138 p.
- Affeich A., “Verbal and Non-Verbal Representation in the Popularized and the Semi-Popularized Technical Discourse” [in French], in Proceedings of the TOTh (Terminology & Ontology: Theories and Applications) Workshop 2013, Lervad S. et al. (editors), DNRF’s Centre for Textile Research & Institut Porphyre, Savoir et Connaissance, Copenhagen, 2016, pp. 147-161
- Affeich A., “From “Too Big to Fail” to “Too Big to Believe”. When Loan Terms Make Their Way in the French Terminology of the American Budget Crisis” [in French], Toma C.A. & Zanola M.T. (editors), Cultural Diversity and Identity in Europe, Bucharest, 2016, vol. 13/1, pp. 163-176
- Affeich A., “Arabic Digital Content” [in French], in Journal of Letters and Translation, Kaslik, PUSEK, 2015, no. 16, pp. 15-24
- Affeich A., “Aspects of Rupture and Resistance in the Arabic Technical and Scientific Vocabulary of the 20th Century” [in French], Khalfallah N. (editor), Paris, L’Harmattan, 2014, pp. 77-94
- Affeich A., “Multilingual Terminology: How it Can Contribute to the Perception of the Universe and the Understanding of Concepts” [in Arabic], in Proceedings of the international conference on Languages, Letters and Dialogue of Cultures, Kaslik, PUSEK, 2013, pp. 37-44
- Affeich A., “Loan Terms in the Specialized Arabic Vocabulary: Yesterday and Today” [in French], Turjuman, Journal of Translation and Interpretation, Tangier, King Fahd School of Translation, 2011, vol. 20/2, pp. 28-74
- Affeich A., “The Metaphor in the Technical Discourse of Internet and Its Translation from English into Arabic” [in French], in the proceedings of the 3rd edition of Jetou on Comparative Methods and Analysis in the Language Sciences, Le Mirail University-Toulouse II, 2011, pp. 162-167
- Affeich A., “Can We Speak of a Neology of Acronyms in Arabic? Reflections and Observations Through Technical and Scientific Domains: the Case of Internet Domain” [in French], in Humbley J. & J.-F. Sablayrolles (editors), Neologica, International journal of neology, Paris, Garnier, 2010, no. 4, pp. 137-162
- Affeich A., “When the Translator Renders the Etymological Meaning… Example of the Translation from English into Arabic of Greco-Latin Formants of the Internet Domain” [in French], Journal of Letters and Translation, Kaslik, PUSEK, 2010, no. 14, pp. 45-55
- Affeich A., “Rephrasing: a Dynamic Process of Knowledge Acquisition. The Case of the Arabic Technical Discourse of Internet” [in French], in the Proceedings of the 3rd international conference TOTh, Annecy, Porphyre Institute, 2009, pp. 161-177
- Affeich A. (in collaboration with Susanne Lervad), Review of Kyo Kageura book, The Dynamics of Terminology: A Descriptive Theory of Term Formation and Terminological Growth [in English], in Bowker L. & J. Pearson (editors), Bibliography of Translation Studies, Manchester, St Jerome, 2003
- Affeich A. (in collaboration with Carine Abi-Ghanem), review of the collective book The Meaning in Terminology, Bejoint H. & Ph. Thoiron (editors), Journal of Letters and Translation [in French], Kaslik, PUSEK, 2001, no. 7, pp. 169-175
Assistant Professor of Translation
Office: Nicol 101