Dr. Rula Diab is Associate Professor of English/Applied Linguistics in the Department of English at LAU Beirut. She served as founding director of the LAU Writing Center during 2010-2011 and 2011-2012. She is also the current chair of the Department of English. She teaches courses in linguistics and advanced academic writing and is the recipient of the LAU Teaching Excellence Award for the academic year 2016-2017.
Her research interests include individual difference variables in second language acquisition, particularly language learners’ beliefs, preferences, and attitudes toward language learning, in addition to the area of second language writing.
In spring 2005, her research project investigating university students’ and teachers’ preferences for error correction and feedback in the EFL writing classroom received the TOEFL Board Award for International Participation in TESOL. Her research has appeared in international refereed journals such as The International Journal of English Linguistics, System, The Linguistics Journal, TESL-EJ, and TESL Canada Journal.
She is a member of several professional organizations, including TESOL, American Association for Applied Linguistics (AAAL), International Writing Centers Association (IWCA), and the Middle-East North Africa Writing Centers Alliance.
- Diab, Rula L. (2017). Foreword. In L. R. Arnold, A. Nebel, and L. Ronesi (Eds.), Emerging writing research from the Middle East-North Africa region. University of Colorado Press: Boulder, CO.
- Diab, Rula L. (2015). Faculty perceptions of a new writing center. In Kellie A. Charron (Ed.), Sound instruction: Ready to use classroom practice Volume III- Writing center theory and practice. Rapid Intellect Group ISBN 0-9709895-1-4.
- Basha, N., Bahous, R., & Diab, R.L. (2012). Gender and politeness in a foreign language academic context. International Journal of English Linguistics, 2(1), 79-96
- Diab, Rula L., & Balaa, Luma. (2011). Developing detailed rubrics for assessing critique writing: Impact on EFL university students’ performance and attitudes. TESOL Journal, 2(1), 52-72.
- Diab, Rula L. (2009). Lebanese university students’ perceptions of ethnic, national, and linguistic identity and their preferences for foreign language learning in Lebanon. The Linguistics Journal, Sept.2009 Special Edition, 101-120.
- Diab, Rula L. (2009). Lebanese EFL teachers’ beliefs about foreign language learning. TESL Reporter, 42(2), 13-31.
- Diab, Rula L. (2006). University students’ beliefs about learning English and French in Lebanon. System, 34(1), 80–96.
- Diab, Rula L. (2006). Teaching practices and student learning in the introductory research methods class. TESL-EJ, 10(2), A6 (28 pages). Retrieved from http://tesl-ej.org/ej38/a6.html
- Diab, Rula L. (2006). Error correction and feedback in the EFL writing classroom: Comparing instructor and student preferences. English Teaching Forum, 44(3), 2–13.
- Diab, Rula L. (2005). Teachers’ and students’ beliefs about responding to ESL writing: A case study. TESL Canada Journal, 23(1), 28–43.
- Diab, Rula L. (2005). EFL university students’ preferences for error correction and teacher feedback to writing. TESL Reporter, 38(1), 27–51.
- Diab, Rula L. (2004). Cultural and situational influences on EFL students’ beliefs about language learning. Texas Papers in Foreign Language Education, 8, 115–138.
- Ph.D. in Foreign Language Education, with an emphasis in TEFL, University of Texas at Austin, USA
- M.A. in TEFL, American University of Beirut, Lebanon
- B.A. in English, American University of Beirut, Lebanon
Associate Professor of English
Chair, Department of English
Office: Nicol 4.3