Dr. Rula Diab is Associate Professor of English/Applied Linguistics in the Department of English at LAU Beirut. She served as Founding Director of the LAU Writing Center during 2010-2011 and 2011-2012 and as Chair of the Department of English Language Instruction during 2012-2013 and 2013-2014.
Before joining LAU in October 2008, she taught at the University of Texas at Austin, Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT) University, and the American University of Beirut.
Her research interests include individual difference variables in second language acquisition, particularly language learners’ beliefs, preferences, and attitudes toward language learning, in addition to the area of second language writing.
In spring 2005, her research project investigating university students’ and teachers’ preferences for error correction and feedback in the EFL writing classroom received the TOEFL Board Award for International Participation in TESOL. Her research has appeared in international refereed journals such as System, TESL Canada Journal, TESL-EJ, and TESL Reporter.
She is a member of several professional organizations, including TESOL, American Association for Applied Linguistics (AAAL), International Writing Centers Association (IWCA), and the Middle-East North Africa Writing Centers Alliance.
1. Basha, N., Bahous, R., & Diab, R.L. (2012). Gender and politeness in a foreign language academic context. International Journal of English Linguistics, 2(1), 79-96
2. Diab, Rula L., & Balaa, Luma. (2011). Developing detailed rubrics for assessing critique writing: Impact on EFL university students’ performance and attitudes. TESOL Journal, 2(1), 52-72.
3. Diab, Rula L. (2009). Lebanese university students’ perceptions of ethnic, national, and linguistic identity and their preferences for foreign language learning in Lebanon. The Linguistics Journal, Sept.2009 Special Edition, 101-120.
4. Diab, Rula L. (2009). Lebanese EFL teachers’ beliefs about foreign language learning. TESL Reporter, 42(2), 13-31.
5. Diab, Rula L. (2006). University students’ beliefs about learning English and French in Lebanon. System, 34(1), 80–96.
6. Diab, Rula L. (2006). Teaching practices and student learning in the introductory research methods class. TESL-EJ, 10(2), A6 (28 pages). Retrieved from http://tesl-ej.org/ej38/a6.html
7. Diab, Rula L. (2006). Error correction and feedback in the EFL writing classroom: Comparing instructor and student preferences. English Teaching Forum, 44(3), 2–13.
8. Diab, Rula L. (2005). Teachers’ and students’ beliefs about responding to ESL writing: A case study. TESL Canada Journal, 23(1), 28–43.
9. Diab, Rula L. (2005). EFL university students’ preferences for error correction and teacher feedback to writing. TESL Reporter, 38(1), 27–51.
10. Diab, Rula L. (2004). Cultural and situational influences on EFL students’ beliefs about language learning. Texas Papers in Foreign Language Education, 8, 115–138.
- Ph.D. in Foreign Language Education, with an emphasis in TEFL, University of Texas at Austin, USA
- M.A. in TEFL, American University of Beirut, Lebanon
- B.A. in English, American University of Beirut, Lebanon
Associate Professor of English
Office: Nicol 4.3