Nuwar Mawlawi Diab
Dr. Nuwar Mawlawi Diab is an Associate Professor of English and Applied Linguistics. She has taught English communication skills courses at LAU since 1995.
Dr. Mawlawi Diab’s research interests are in writing development, writing assessment, contrastive linguistics, and translation. She has given several workshops on writing and participated in a number of symposia and international conferences on writing feedback as well as on the literary works of Ameen Rihani, the father of Arab American literature. She is a reviewer for several journals, namely Assessing Writing, System, Language Awareness, and Writing Pedagogy and has published several articles in internationally refereed journals, and a book titled A Comparison of Peer- Versus Self-Feedback on L2 Writing, published by Scholar’s Press, Germany .
Dr. Mawlawi Diab is a member of the American Association of Applied Linguists (AAAL) a member of the International Association for Translation and Intercultural Studies (IATIS), and a member of the Ameen F. Rihani Scholars’ Desk.
- Awada, G., Mawlawi Diab, N. and Gutiérrez-Colón Plana, M.. (2018). Effect of Blog and Cultural Grouping on Learners’ Perceptions of Intercultural Communication and Exploratory Writing. CALL Proceedings- 2018, 72-78.
- Mawlawi Diab N. (2016). A comparison of peer, teacher and self-feedback on the reduction of language errors in student essays. System 57, 55-65. doi:10.1016/j.system.2015.12.014
- Mawlawi Diab, N. (2015). Promoting learner agency through teaching language learning strategies. Accepted for publication in the 49th IATEFL conference proceedings; Manchester, UK.
- Mawlawi Diab, N. (2015). Inter-religious Tolerance: Ameen Rihani’s Key to Religious Reform and Political Unity. Journal of Intercultural Inquiry,1(1), 43-59. http://sunderlandcultureresearch.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/first-edition-of-journal-of.html
- Mawlawi Diab, N. (2015). Teaching the skills for a global future. University World News, Global Edition, issue 376, http://www.universityworldnews.com/article.php?story=20150726091208685
- Mawlawi Diab, N. (2015). Effectiveness of written corrective feedback: Does type of error and type of correction matter? Assessing Writing, 24, 16-34. This paper published in March 2015 was cited 2nd out of 25 Most Downloaded Assessing Writing Articles in August 2015, http://www.journals.elsevier.com/assessing-writing/most-downloaded-articles/
- Mawlawi Diab, N. (2013, July) A Comparison of Peer- Versus Self-Feedback on L2 Writing, Scholar’s Press, Germany, ISBN-13: 978-3-639-51591-6.
- Mawlawi Diab, N. (2013). The Arab-American contribution to multiculturalism in the US. Symposium on “Multiculturalism and Arab American Literature.” In Ameen Albert Rihani: Fi Mizan An-Naqd Al-Adabi, pp.171-174, Louaize: Notre Dame University Press.
- Mawlawi Diab,N. (2012). A critique of Nijmeh Hajjar’s article ‘Ameen Rihani’s Feminist vision: Between the real and the imagined’. Proceedings of the symposium on Ameen Rihani and Arab Renewal: Challenges for change in Literature, Intellect, and Society (162-167), published by the Center for Arab Unity Studies and the University of Sidney, Australia.
- Mawlawi Diab, N. (2011). Assessing the relationship between different types of student feedback and the quality of revised writing. Assessing Writing, 16(4), 274 -292. This paper, which was published in October 2011 , was rated first among 25 Top Hottest Articles for the period October -December, 2011 (http://top25.sciencedirect.com/subject/arts-and-humanities/2/journal/assessing-writing/10752935/archive/35/from SciVerse ScienceDirect in the last 90 days. (http://www.journals.elsevier.com/assessing-writing/most-downloaded-articles/) ). Also it is currently (August 2013) rated as the 17th most down loaded article.
- Mawlawi Diab, N. (2011). Rihani’s Universal Spirituality, proceedings of at the International Conference on Ameen Rihani’s Arab-American Legacy: From Romanticism to Postmodernism (363-372);Notre Dame University, Louaize, Lebanon on April 28-29, 2011.
- Mawlawi Diab, N. (2010). Peer-Editing versus self-editing in the ESL classroom. Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium on Peer Reviewing (ISPR), (192-197), Orlando, USA.
- Mawlawi Diab, N. (2010). Effects of peer-editing versus self-editing on student’s revision of language errors in revised drafts, SYSTEM , 38 (2010), pp. 85-95. This paper was rated 12th in the 25 Top Hottest Articles for the period April -June, 2010 (http://top25.sciencedirect.com/subject/arts-and-humanities/2/journal/system/0346251X/archive/27/ .
- Mawlawi Diab, N. (2009, November) Assessment of a Constructivist Approach to Teaching Writing. Proceedings of the Regional Conference on Program and Learning Assessment.
- The conference was held on Nov. 6-7, 2009 at LAU, Beirut, Lebanon.
- Mawlawi Diab, N. (2004). Ameen Rihani’s Vision of Globalization: A Matrimony, Not Hegemony. In N. Funk and B. Sitka (Eds.) Ameen Rihani: Bridging East and West, A pioneer Call for American Understanding (pp.93-101). Maryland: University Press of America.
- Mawlawi Diab, N. (1998). Interference of Arabic in the English Writings of Lebanese Students, ESPecialist Journal, 18(1), 71-83.
- Mawlawi Diab, N. (1997, Sept.). Translation into English of Extremism and Reform by Ameen Ar-Rihani, Manrikh Book Pubs., Beirut, Lebanon.
- EdD Applied Linguistics and TESOL, University of Leicester, UK
- MA in Translation and Linguistics, University of Bath, UK
- BA in English Literature and Minor in Arabic Literature, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
Nuwar Mawlawi Diab
Associate Professor of English and Applied Linguistics
Office: Nicol 420D