Dr. Nahla (Nola) Bacha is Professor of English/Applied Linguistics/TESOL. She earned her degree in 1998 with high distinction from the University of Leicester, U.K. She is an alumna of LAU earning an A.A. degree in 1968 when it was a women’s college, and a B.A. and M.A. from the American University of Beirut.
She was awarded the British Council Post Graduate Grant and the USA Fulbright Scholarship. She has also presented papers and workshops at local and international conferences, and organized ELT workshops and conferences at LAU, for the regional and the international communities. Her publications include English texts for the Lebanese National Center for Educational Research and Development, chapters in edited international books and articles in international refereed journals in discourse and corpus analysis, EAP/ESP, writing, testing, and bi/multilingualism. She is a reviewer for several international refereed journals, associate editor for The Linguistics Journal and senior associate editor for the Asian EFL Journal and reviewer for many international refereed journals in the USA and Canada. She has served as an external member on M.A. and Ph.D. theses committees both at LAU and local university committees, as well as an external professorial promotion reviewer in the MENA region and the USA.
Currently, Bacha is researching English across university disciplines, learner-centered curricular in both the teaching and learning language, literature in English in foreign contexts, and in redefining the role of English programs within both academic and professional contexts. Of Lebanese-Australian background, she is also currently doing research in contrastive rhetoric analysis. Dr. Bacha is a member of several professional organizations including Teachers to Speakers of Other Languages, USA (TESOL), TESOL Lebanon, the British Association for Applied Linguistics (BAAL) and the Association of Professors of English and Translation at Arab Universities (APETUS).
- Bacha, N. (2018). L1 Use in the L2 Academic Essays: A Study of L1 Arabic writers’ Views. International Journal of English Linguistics. Canadian Center of Science and Education. 8(2), 15-24.
- Bacha, N. (2017). Teaching literary essays to EFL students. International Journal of Language and Literature. 5(1), 117-126.
- Bacha, N. (2016) Teaching the Novel in a University English as a Foreign Language (EFL) Context: An Exploratory Study in Lebanon. International Journal of Learning, Teaching and Educational Research. 15(12) 155-173.
- Bahous, R. & Bacha, N. (2016) Perceptions on the Effectiveness of Active Learning Strategies, Journal of Applied Research in Higher Education. 8(3). 360-375.
- Bahous,R., Nabhani, M., Bacha, N., (2014) Hi, Kivak, Cava! Codeswitching in a Multilingual Foreign Context. Language Awareness. 23(4), 353 – 368.
- Bacha, N.N. (2013) Corrective Feedback on EFL Writing in the Disciplines: An Exploratory Study. The Linguistics Journal. 7(1), 294-319.
- Bacha, N.N., Bahous, R., Diab, R. (2012) Gender and Politeness in a Foreign Language Academic Context. International Journal of English Linguistics 2(1) 79-96.
- Bacha, N.N. (2012) Disciplinary Writing in an EFL Context from Teachers’ and Students’ Perspectives. International Journal of Business and Social Sciences 2(2)233-256.
- Khachan, V. & Bacha, N.N. (2012) A vocabulary corpus-based analysis of L2 academic writing: A case study. Asian ESP Journal. 8(1) Time Taylor International Publishers.
- Bahous, R., Bacha, N.N., Nabhani, M. (2012) Multilingual educational trends and practices in Lebanon: A case study. International Review of Education (IRE) 57(5)737-749. Springer Publishers.
- Bacha, N.N. (2010). Teaching the academic argument in an EFL environment. Journal of English for Academic Purposes (9)3, 229-241. Elsevier Publishers.
- Bacha, N.N. (2010) Teaching literature in English as a foreign language classrooms: A study of student attitudes. International Journal of the Humanities. (8)1, 47-64. Common ground Publishers, Australia.
- Bacha, N. N. (2010) Teaching EFL/ESL Students Critique Writing In Pennington and Pauline Burton (Eds.) The College Writing Toolkit: Tried and Tested Ideas for Teaching College Writing (pp.251-280). London: Equinox Publishers.
- Bacha, N.N. (2007) ELT and citizenship: An educational perspective. International Journal of the Humanities. 5(11), 153-162. Common ground Publishers, Australia.
- Bacha, N.N. (2007). A blind learner in EFL mainstream classes: A case study at the Lebanese American University (267-281) In Brian Tomlinson (ed.) Language Acquisition and Development: Studies of First and other Languages. London: Continuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Bacha, N. N. & Bahous, R. (2007.) Contrasting views of business students’ needs in an EFL environment. International Journal of English for Specific Purposes (ESP). 27:74-93. Elsevier Publishers.
- Bacha, N. N. (2002) Developing learners’ academic writing skills in higher education: A study for educational reform. Language and Education International Journal, Oxford, England, Multilingual Matters Ltd. (16)3: 161-177. July-September Issue.
- Bacha, N. N. (2001) Writing evaluation: What can analytic versus holistic scoring tell us? System, An International Journal of Educational Technology and Applied Linguistics. (29) 3: 371-383.
- Ph.D. in Applied Linguistics and TESOL, University of Leicester, England.
- M.A. in TESOL, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
- B.A. in English Language and Literature, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
- T.D. in Teaching English as Foreign Language, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
- A.A. in Associate of Arts, Lebanese American University, Beirut, Lebanon.
Professor of English/Applied Linguistics/TESOL
Office: Block A, Room 711G