Dr. Irma-Kaarina Ghosn is an associate professor in the Department of English at the LAU Byblos campus, where she has been teaching since 1991.
She is also the director of the Institute for Peace and Justice Education at LAU.
Her research focuses on the influence of language teaching materials and classroom interactions on children’s second/foreign language learning. She is also interested in the overall quality of primary school classroom teaching and learning environment.
Since 1995, Ghosn has also been involved in peace education. She was a member of the International Advisory Group of the Global Campaign for Peace Education, launched by the Hague Appeal for Peace.
Ghosn’s main hobby is writing for children, and in 1998, her Caring Kids: Social Responsibility Through Literature (Dar El-Ilm Lilmalayin, 1999), a series of 10 children’s stories and a pedagogical guide, won the coveted Mary Finocchiaro Award for Excellence in the Development of Pedagogical Materials from TESOL, USA.
Born in Finland, Ghosn has lived with her Lebanese husband and two children, Katerina and Omar, in Greece, USA and Lebanon. She is a proud grandmother of little Kiira.
- Ghosn, I.-K. Developing Motivating Materials for Young Refugee Children. In B. Tomlinson, H. Masuhara & F. Misha (Eds.). Practice and theory in materials development in language learning (provisional title). Continuum Bloomsbury (2013).
- Ghosn, I.-K. Reach a Child-Teach a child. Creating Engaging and Child- Friendly Learning Environments. Institute for Peace and Justice Education, Lebanese American University (2013).
- Ghosn, I.-K. Storybridge to second language literacy. The theory, research and practice of teaching English with children’s literature. Charlotte, NC.: Information Age Publishing (2013).
- Ghosn, I.-K. Language learning for young learners. In B. Tomlinson (Eds.). Applied linguistics for materials development (pp. 93-110). London: Continuum Bloomsburry, 2013.
- Ghosn, I.-K. Storybrigde to second language: A tale of two teachers. In A. Mahmoud & R. Al-Mahrooqi (Eds.). Teaching literature in the EFL context (pp. 177-192). Sultan Qabous University Press, 2012.
- Ghosn, I.-K. Five-year outcomes from children’s literature-based programs vs. programs using a skills-based ESL course. Matthew and Peter effect at work? In Tomlinson, B. & Masuhara, H. (Eds.). Research for Materials Development in Language Learning: Evidence for best practice (pp. 21-36). London: Continuum, 2010.
- Ghosn, I.-K. Quest for national unity: Rhetoric and reality of school curricula in Lebanon. In Kirylo, J. & Nauman, A. (Eds.). Curriculum Development: Perspectives from around the World (pp. 208-224). Chicago: Association of Childhood Education International, 2010.
- Ghosn, I.-K. (Ed.), Educators and youth building peace: Stories from in and out of school. Institute for Peace and Justice Education, Lebanese American University Press, 2010.
- Ghosn, I.-K. Learning about the ‘Other’ in a university class. In I.-K. Ghosn (Ed.). Educators and youth building peace: Stories from in and out of school (pp. 95-110). Institute for Peace and Justice Education, Lebanese American University Press, 2010.
- Chaaya, D. & Ghosn, I.-K. Supporting young second language learners’ reading through guided reading and strategy instruction in second grade classroom in Lebanon. Educational Research and Reviews 5(6), 329-337, 2010.
- Ghosn, I.-K. Religion, rule of law, or the family honour? Moral reasoning among Lebanese children. International Journal of Early Childhood, 41(1), 2009.
- Bacha, N., Ghosn, I.-K., McBeath, N. English language teaching materials in the Middle East. In Tomlinson, B. (Ed.). English language learning materials: A critical review (pp. 281-299). London: Continuum, 2008.
- Ghosn, I. (2007). Output like input: Influence of children’s literature on young L2 learners’ written expression. In B. Tomlinson (Ed.). Studies of First and Other Language Acquisition (pp. 171-186). London: Continuum, 2007.
- Ghosn, I.-K. Towards a Culture of Peace through Teacher Education. Handbook for Workshop Facilitators. Teacher Education for Peace in Middle Eastern Countries. (Funded by a grant from USIP.) Byblos: LAU Institute for Peace and Justice Education, August 2005.
- Ghosn, I. Story as culturally appropriate social context for young ELT learners. Language, Culture and Curriculum Vol. 17(2), 109-126, Fall 2004.
- Ghosn, I.-K. Partnership in Education: Lebanese Evolution of a Finnish Educational Model. Accepted for publication in Scandinavian Journal of Educational Research Vol. 48(1), 35-51, February, 2004.
- Ghosn, I. Four good reasons to use literature in Primary ELT. Year of the Young Learner Special Collection, ELT Journal/Oxford University Press (pp. 56-64) (Editor-selected articles from previous ELT Journals; appeared earlier in ELT Journal 56(2), 2002), 2003-2004.
- Ghosn, I. Talking like texts or talking about texts? How some primary school coursebook tasks are realized in the classroom. In B. Tomlinson (Ed.) Developing Materials for Language Teaching (pp. 291-305), London: Continuum, 2003.
- Ghosn, I. Socially responsible language teaching with literature, Japanese Association of Language Teachers (JALT) Journal, 27(3), 15-20. Spring 2003.
- Ghosn, I. Four good reasons to use literature in Primary ELT, ELT Journal, 56(2), 172-179, 2002.
- Ghosn, I. Nurturing emotional intelligence through literature, The English Teaching FORUM, 39(1), 2001, pp. 10-17. Also Online: http://exchanges.state.gov/forum/vols/vol39/no1/p10.htm.
- Ghosn, I. Whole language EFL with style: Adapting Traditional texts to diverse learning styles and Intelligences, MEXTESOL Journal, 21(4), 1998, pp. 11-26. [ISSN: 1405-3470]
- Ghosn, I. ESL with children’s literature: The way Whole Language worked in one Kindergarten Class. The English Teaching FORUM, 35(3), July, 1997, pp. 14-19/29 Also Online: http://exchanges.state.gov/forum/vols/vol35/no3/p14.htm.
- Ghosn, I. Alimentando las semillas de la paz: fuerza y potencial de la literatura infantil. In Ú. Oswald Spring (Ed.) Etudios para la paz desde una perspectiva global. [Nurturing seeds of peace: Power and potential of children’s literature.] (pp. 405-417). Miguel Ángel Porrúa, Cuernavaca, Mexico: UNAM, Centro Regional de Investigacioned Multidisciplinarias 2001.
- Ghosn, I. Nurturing seeds of peace: Power and potential of children’s literature. In Ú. Oswald Spring (Ed.) Peace Studies from Global Perspective. Human needs in a cooperative World. Selected papers from the 17th Annual International Peace Research Association Conference in Durban, South Africa, 1998 (pp. 421-435). Delhi, India: Maadhyam Books, 1999.
Select Publications for Children
- Ghosn, I.-K. Enjoy English! Grade 3 (Student Book, Activity Book & Teacher’s Book). Beirut: UNRWA Education Programme, 2013.
- Ghosn, I.-K. Enjoy English! Grade 2 (Student Book, Activity Book & Teacher’s Book. Beirut: UNRWA Education Programme, 2012.
- Ghosn, I.-K. Enjoy English! Grade 1 (Student Book, Activity Book & Teacher’s Book. Beirut: UNRWA Education Programme, 2011.
- Ghosn, I.-K. Phoenician Friends. Beirut: Dar El-Ilm Lilmalayin, 2011.
- Ghosn, I.-K. The Little Hen Gets Help, 2009 [Online] http://www.thelittlehen.com
- Ghosn, I.-K. (with G. E. Ghosn) Adhi’bu! Adhi’bu! [Wolf! Wolf!], Beirut: Dar El-Ilm Lilmalayin, 2010.
- Ghosn, I.-K Abu’l Kheir [Abul, the True Hero]. [transl. G. E. Ghosn]. Beirut: Dar El-Ilm Lilmalayin, 2009.
- Ph.D. in Applied Linguistics, University of Leicester School of Education, U.K.
- M.Ed. in Psychology and Social Foundations of Education, University of Virginia Curry School of Education, USA
Associate Professor of English/TESOL