Dr. Iman Osta is an associate professor of mathematics and computer education. She chaired the Department of Education from October 2010 to September 2012. She also served as assistant dean of the School of Arts and Sciences from October 2014 to September 2018.
Dr. Osta was an education faculty member at the American University of Beirut from 1990 to 1999, after which she joined LAU. Throughout her career, she has taught graduate courses in mathematics education, curriculum design, research methodology, educational technology and others, as well as undergraduate courses in the fields of pre- and in-service teacher preparation for teaching mathematics at all grade levels, for teaching science at the elementary level, as well as computer education for teachers.
At the national level, Dr. Osta contributed to the development of the Lebanese curriculum for informatics and chaired the national Evaluation Committee for the math and informatics curricula. From 2007 to 2011, she led and worked on a collaborative project with Michigan State University for developing three gender-sensitive courses in Educational Technology for teachers.
Since 1990, she has conducted many workshops for teachers (problem solving, teaching of geometry, number sense and mental math, technology in teaching mathematics, meaningful learning of math, motivation in math classes, connecting math to life, representations in math teaching and learning, educational assessment, and others).
Dr. Osta has published research work on the use of computer technology in the teaching and learning of geometry, on student learning assessment and curriculum evaluation, and on the learning of algebra.
In fall 2013, she became affiliated to the University of Maryland as a Fulbright Visiting Scholar to conduct research in collaboration with the team of the Mathematics Education Center at the University.
- Chartouny, M.; Osta, I. & Abou Raad, N. (2019). A model of the instrumentation process in dynamic geometry. A paper presented at CERME 11. In Proceedings of the 11th Congress for the European Research in Mathematics Education (CERME 11). Utrecht, The Netherlands. 6-10 February, 2019.
- Osta, I. (2018). The Math Curriculum Reform in Lebanon: Achievements, problems and challenges. Paper presented in a Plenary Panel. In R. Vithal & Y. Shimizu (Eds), School Mathematics Curriculum Reforms: Challenges, Changes and Opportunities, Proceedings of the 24th ICMI Study Conference (pp. 93-100). Tsukuba, Japan, 25 – 30 Nov. 2018.
- Osta, I., Chaaban, F. (2018). TPACK characteristics of elementary math teachers (Abstract). Proceedings of the 10th Annual International Conference on Education and New Learning Technologies (EDULEARN 18). Palma De Mallorca, Spain, 2-4 July 2018.
- Chartouny, M.; Osta, I. & Abou Raad, N. (2017). A framework for failed proving processes in a dynamic geometry environment. In Aldon, G.; Hitt, F.; Bazzini, L. & Gellert, U. (eds.), Mathematics and Technology (chap. 9, 51p.). Springer.
- Shatila, H.; Habre, S. & Osta, I., (2016). Effects of technology-aided multiple-representations approach on students’ understanding of derivatives. Proceedings of the 28th International Conference on Technology in Collegiate Mathematics. Atlanta, 2016.
- Osta, I. (2014). Mathematics Curriculum Evaluation. In S. Lerman (ed.), International Encyclopedia of Mathematics Education (3600 words). Springer, Netherlands.
- Osta, I. (2012). Teaching Methods as Reflected by Course Syllabi of Teacher Preparation Programs in some of the Major Universities in Lebanon. Pedagogical Research, 22, 79-101.
- Sakr, R.; Nabhani, M. & Osta, I. (2009). Description and Evaluation of the Literacy Library Program in a Lebanese School: A Case Study. School Libraries Worldwide, 15(1), 28-44.
- Afra, N., Osta, I., & Zoubeir, W. (2009). Students’ Alternative Conceptions about Electricity and Effect of Inquiry-Based Teaching Strategies. International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education, 7(1), 103-132.
- Osta, I. (2009). From physical model to proof for understanding via DGS: Interplay among environments. In Proceedings of the Tenth International Conference on “Models in Developing Mathematics Education” (pp. 464-468), 11-17 September 2009, Dresden, Germany. Available on the Conference website: http://math.unipa.it/~grim/21_project/Osta464-468.pdf
- Osta, I. (2009). Macro-constructions in DGS: More than construction tools. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Technology in Mathematics Teaching (ICTMT 9), 6-9 July 2009, Metz, France. Currently available on the ICTMT9 Conference website: Here.
- Osta, I. (2008). Math curricula vs. critical thinking: catalyst or obstacle? In Proceedings of the International Conference on Excellence in Education. International Centre for Innovation in Education (ICIE), 2-4 July 2008, Paris.
- Osta, I. (2008). Teaching Mathematics for Understanding or for the Test? School Exams Molded by National Exams. Journal for Mathematics Education (JME), 1(1), 3-25.
- Osta, I. (2007). Developing and Piloting a Framework for Studying the Alignment of Mathematics Examinations with the Curriculum: The Case of Lebanon. Journal of Educational Research and Evaluation, 13(2), 171-198.
- Osta, I. (2007). Isomorphic problems and contextual variables for advancing algebraic thinking. International Journal for Applied Mathematics (IJAM), 20 (2), 155-174
- Osta, I. & Labban, S. (Nov. 2007). Seventh Graders’ Prealgebraic Problem Solving Strategies: Geometric, arithmetic, and algebraic interplay. International Journal for Mathematics Teaching and Learning (IJMTL, electronic journal).
- Osta, I. (2007). Teaching Mathematics for Understanding or for the Test? School Exams Moulded by National Exams. Journal for Mathematics Education (JME), 1(1)..
- Osta, I. (2006). Représentations d’Enseignants du Complémentaire sur une Réforme du Curriculum de Mathématiques: Réflexion en vue du développement professionnel. Proceedings of the International Conference EMF 2006. Sherbrooke, Canada. Published in CD format.
- Osta, I. (Editor); Debs, M. & Jurdak, M. (Editorial Committee) (2005). Education and Information Technology in the Arab Countries. Issues and Trends. (Book in Arabic). LAES (Lebanese Association for Educational Studies). (512 pages)
- Osta, I. (1998). Computer technology and the teaching of geometry. In Mammana, C. & Villani, V. (Eds.), Perspectives on the Teaching of Geometry in the 21st. Century (pp. 109-112 & 128-144). Kluwer Academic Publishers: Dordrecht/ Boston/ London.
- Osta, I. (1994). Garçons et Filles Face à la Conception Assistée par Ordinateur (CAO) (in English: Boys and girls in a CAD – Computer Assisted Design – situation). In Lafortune, L. & Solar, C. (Eds.), Des Mathématiques Autrement (pp. 237-269). Remue-Ménage: Canada.
- Doctorate in “Didactique des Mathématiques et de l’Informatique,” Joseph Fourier University, Grenoble, France
- DEA in IMSS (Informatique et Mathématiques en Sciences Sociales), Joseph Fourier University, Grenoble, France
- DEA in Social Sciences, Institute of Social Sciences, Lebanese University, Beirut
- TD and BS in Teaching Mathematics, Faculty of Pedagogy, Lebanese University, Beirut
Associate Professor of Math and Computer Education
Office: Shannon 4003