Hagop A. Yacoubian
Dr. Hagop A. Yacoubian joined the Department of Education in fall 2018 as associate professor of education. Prior to his appointment at LAU, he was an associate professor of education and the chair of the Faculty of Social & Behavioral Sciences at Haigazian University. Dr. Yacoubian’s research generally focuses on exploring how future citizens can be empowered so that they develop a critical mindset and engage in democratic decision-making processes. One area of his research involves exploring desirable ways of preparing scientifically literate future citizens. Towards that end, he focuses on studying how future citizens can be supported so that they think critically about the nature of science and science-based social issues. Another area of his research involves understanding factors that contribute to (or hinder) the development of critical mindset among future citizens.
Dr. Yacoubian has given several academic talks, consulted schools and projects, as well as trained teachers and school administrators in the Middle East, Europe and North America. Previously he has also worked as secondary school science teacher, administrator and teacher educator in Lebanon and Canada.
- Yacoubian, H. A. (2016). Critical Thinking at the Armenian Schools in Lebanon. Beirut: Haigazian University Press.
- Yacoubian, H. A. (2020). Teaching nature of science through a critical thinking approach. In W. F. McComas (Ed.), Nature of Science in Science Instruction: Rationales and Strategies. Springer.
- Yacoubian, H. A. & Bazzul, J. (Eds.) (2015). Rethinking education for citizenship [Special issue]. Canadian Journal of Science, Mathematics, and Technology Education, 15(3).
- El Takach, S. & Yacoubian, H. A. (2020). Lebanese science teachers’ and their students’ perceptions of science and scientists. International Journal of Education in Mathematics, Science and Technology, 8(1), 65-75.
- Yacoubian, H. A. & Khishfe, R. (2018). Argumentation, Critical Thinking, Nature of Science and Socioscientific Issues: A Dialogue between Two Researchers. International Journal of Science Education, 40(7), 496-807.
- Yacoubian, H. A. (2018). Scientific literacy for democratic decision-making. International Journal of Science Education, 40(3), 308-327.
- Yacoubian, H. A., Al-Khatib, L., & Mardirossian, T. (2017). Analysis of the image of scientists portrayed in the Lebanese national science textbooks. Science & Education, 26, 513-528.
- Yacoubian, H. A. (2015). A framework for guiding future citizens to think critically about nature of science and socioscientific issues. Canadian Journal of Science, Mathematics and Technology Education, 15(3), 248-260.
- Yacoubian, H. A. (2013). A theoretical model for the cultivation of critical thinking and the nature of science in science teaching [In Greek]. Science Education: Research & Praxis, 40-41, 40-54.
- Yacoubian, H. A., Hur, S. J., Lei, Y., Freed, C., Phillips, L. M. & Norris, S. P. (2011). Teaching scientific inquiry using science trade books. Alberta Science Education Journal, 41, 16-21.
- Lei, Y., Yacoubian, H. A., Hur, S. J., Freed, C., Norris, S. P., & Phillips, L. M. (2011). Fostering scientific vocabulary learning: A close look at the science trade books in k-6 classrooms. Alberta Science Education Journal, 41, 31-37.
- Yacoubian, H. A. & BouJaoude, S. (2010). The effect of reflective discussions following inquiry-based laboratory activities on students’ views of nature of science. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 47, 1229-1252.
- PhD in Secondary Education (Concentration in Science Education), 2012, University of Alberta, Canada.
- MA in Education (Concentration in Science Education), 2006, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
- TD in Science Education (Concentration in Secondary Education), 2003, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
- BS in Medical Laboratory Technology, 2001, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
Hagop A. Yacoubian
Associate Professor of Education
Office: Shannon 4004