Sanaa Sharafeddine is an Associate Professor of Computer Science and the director of the Software Institute at the Lebanese American University. She received her B.E. and M.E. degrees in Computer and Communications Engineering from the American University of Beirut (AUB) in 1999 and 2001, respectively. She received her doctoral degree in Communications Engineering from Munich University of Technology (TUM) in 2005 in collaboration with Siemens AG research labs in Munich. Her research interests include lightweight solutions for mobile devices, wireless networking, cooperative communications, multimedia services, and unmanned aerial vehicles.
She is an area editor for Elsevier Ad Hoc Networks journal and associate editor for IEEE Access. She received the International Rising Talent award in 2015 and the L’Oreal-UNESCO Pan-Arab Regional Fellowship award in 2013. She is also the recipient of Charlie Korban award for outstanding graduate student in the Faculty of Engineering and Architecture at AUB in 2001 and Siemens Youth and Knowledge Scholarship for highly distinguished students during 2002-2005. She was elevated to the grade of senior IEEE member in 2010.
- S. Sharafeddine, K. Jahed, O. Farhat, Z. Dawy,” Failure recovery in wireless content distribution networks with device-to-device cooperation,” Elsevier Computer Networks, Available online 27 April 2017, ISSN 1389-1286.
- N. Abbas, H. Hajj, Z. Dawy, K. Jahed, S. Sharafeddine, “An optimized approach to video traffic splitting in heterogeneous wireless networks with energy and QoE considerations,” Elsevier Journal of Network and Computer Applications, Volume 83, 1 April 2017, Pages 72-88, ISSN 1084-8045.
- M. Itani, S. Sharafeddine, and I. Elkabani. “Dynamic single node failure recovery in distributed storage systems.” Elsevier Computer Networks, Volume 113, 2017.
- N. Abbas, Z. Dawy, H. Hajj, S. Sharafeddine, F. Filiali, “Traffic Offloading with Maximum User Capacity in Dense D2D Cooperative Networks,” in IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC 2017), Paris, France, May 2017.
- W. Cherif, F. Filiali, S. Sharafeddine, Z. Dawy, “Toward Dimensioning Cooperative High-Density Wireless Networks,” in 13th International Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference (IWCMC 2017), Valencia, Spain, June 2017.
- W. Cherif, M. A. Khan, F. Filali, S. Sharafeddine and Z. Dawy, “P2P Group Formation Enhancement for Opportunistic Networks with Wi-Fi Direct,” in IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC 2017), San Francisco, CA, 2017.
- K. Jahed, S. Sharafeddine, et al. “Scalable multimedia streaming in wireless networks with device-to-device cooperation,” in ACM on Multimedia Conference 2016, The Netherlands, Amsterdam, 2016.
- M. Itani, S. Sharafeddine and I. Elkabbani, “Practical single node failure recovery using fractional repetition codes in data centers,” in IEEE 30th International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications (AINA 2016), Crans-Montana, Switzerland, 2016.
- M. Itani, S. Sharafeddine and I. ElKabbani, “Practical multiple node failure recovery in distributed storage systems,” in IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communication (ISCC 2016), Messina, Italy, 2016.
- K. Jahed, O. Farhat, G. Al-Jurdi and S. Sharafeddine, “Optimized group owner selection in WiFi direct networks,” in 24th International Conference on Software, Telecommunications and Computer Networks (SoftCOM 2016), Split, Croatia, 2016.
- Ph.D. in electrical engineering, 2005, Munich University of Technology, Germany.
- M.E. in computer and communications engineering, 2001, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
- B.E. in computer and communications engineering, 1999, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
Associate Professor of Computer Science
Director, Software Institute