Sanaa Sharafeddine received the B.E. and M.E. degrees in Computer and Communications Engineering from the American University of Beirut (AUB) in 1999 and 2001, respectively. She received her doctoral degree in Communications Engineering from Munich University of Technology (TUM) in 2005. Her PhD research work was conducted in collaboration with Siemens AG research labs in Munich and resulted in two granted patents.
She is an Associate Professor of Computer Science at the Lebanese American University. She is also the director of the Software Institute at the School of Arts and Sciences.
Her research interests include lightweight solutions for mobile devices, wireless networking, network security, cooperative communications, mobile computing, and multimedia services.
She is the recipient of Charli Korban award for outstanding graduate student in the Faculty of Engineering and Architecture at AUB in 2001 and Siemens Youth and Knowledge Scholarship for highly distinguished students during 2002-2005. She was elevated to the grade of senior IEEE member in 2010.
She joined the Editorial Board of Elsevier Ad Hoc Networks journal. She served as a guest editor for international journals, as a technical program committee member in various international conferences, and as the vice chair of the IEEE Computer Society Lebanon Chapter between 2009 and 2011.
- S. Sharafeddine and A. El-Arid, “An Empirical Energy Model for Secure Web Browsing over Mobile Devices,” in Wiley Security and Communication Networks Journal, Vol. 5, Issue 9, 2012.
- S. Sharafeddine, I. Al-Kassem, and Z. Dawy, “A Scatternet Formation Algorithm for Bluetooth Networks with a Non-Uniform Distribution of Devices,” in Elsevier Journal of Network and Computer Applications, Vol. 35, Issue 2, 2012.
- E. Yaacoub, L. Al-Kanj, Z. Dawy, S. Sharafeddine, F. Filali, and A. Abu-Dayya, “A Utility Minimization Approach for Energy-Aware Cooperative Content Distribution with Fairness Constraints,” in Wiley Transactions on Emerging Telecommunications Technologies, Vol. 23, Issue 4, 2012.
- W. Saad, Z. Dawy, and S. Sharafeddine, “A Utility-Based Algorithm for Joint Uplink/Downlink Scheduling in Wireless Cellular Networks,” in Elsevier Journal of Network and Computer Applications, Vol. 35, Issue 1, 2012.
- S. Sharafeddine and R. Maddah, “A Lightweight Adaptive Compression Scheme for Energy-Efficient Mobile-to-Mobile File Sharing Applications,” in Elsevier Journal of Network and Computer Applications, Vol. 34, Issue 1, 2011.
- S. Sharafeddine, “Capacity Assignment in Multiservice Packet Networks with Soft Maximum Waiting Time Guarantees, ” in Elsevier Journal of Network and Computer Applications, Vol. 34, Issue 1, 2011.
- S. Sharafeddine and Z. Dawy, “Robust Network Dimensioning for Realtime Services with Traffic Deviation,” in Elsevier Computer Communications, Vol. 33, Issue 8, 2010.
- S. Sharafeddine, “On Network Planning for Video Services in IP Networks,” in International Journal of Computers and Applications, Vol. 32, Issue 3, 2010.
- G. Stephan, B. Traboulsi, R. Dbouk, and S. Sharafeddine, “A Lightweight Model for Mobile Peer-to-Peer File Sharing Systems,” in Journal of Advances in Information Technology, Vol. 1, No. 2, 2010.
- Ph.D. in electrical engineering, 2005, Munich University of Technology, Germany.
- M.E. in computer and communications engineering, 2001, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
- B.E. in computer and communications engineering, 1999, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
Associate Professor of Computer Science
Director, Software Institute