Dr. Leila Issa is an associate professor of Applied Mathematics. She was an assistant professor from 2011 until 2019. She obtained her doctorate from the Computational and Applied Mathematics Department at Rice University, where her research focused on imaging sources in randomly perturbed waveguides.
Dr. Issa’s current research interests are in the modeling, simulation and optimization of fluid flows, with applications on the micro and macro scales. On the micro scale, she works on the development and solution of perturbation based models for unsteady pressure driven flows in long channels of variable cross-section. These semi-analytic models are typically two orders of magnitude faster than computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations, rendering them an essential tool for exploring design parameter spaces. On the macro scale, Dr. Issa develops novel and efficient algorithms to model surface currents and pollutant transport in the ocean. To know more about her current research, please visit her personal webpage: https://layla0070.wixsite.com/home
Refereed Journal Articles
- S. El Mohtar, I. Hoteit, O. Knio, L. Issa, I. Lakkis. Lagrangian Tracking in Stochastic Fields with Application to an Ensemble of Velocity Fields in the Red Sea. To appear in Ocean Modelling.
- L. Issa. A simplied model for unsteady pressure driven flows in circular microchannels of vari- able cross-section. Applied Mathematical Modelling, February 2018. Doi: 10.1016/j.apm.2018.01.037
- L. Issa, J. Brajard, M. Fakhri, D. Hayes, L. Mortier, P-M. Poulain. Modelling Surface Currents in the Eastern Levantine Mediterranean Using Surface Drifters and Satellite Altimetry. Ocean Modelling, May 2016. Doi: 10.1016/j.ocemod.2016.05.00
- L. Issa. Perturbation Based Simplifed Models for Unsteady Incompressible Micro-channels Flows, Applied Mathematical Modelling, December 2015. Doi: 10.1016/j.apm.2015.12.025
- L. Issa, I. Lakkis, Reduced Order Modeling of Low Mach Number Unsteady Micro-channel Flows, J. Fluids Eng. 136(5), 051201, March 2014. Dpi:10.1115/1.4026199
- L. Borcea, L. Issa, C. Tsogka, Source localization in random acoustic waveguides, SIAM Multiscale Modeling Simulations, 8(5), pp. 1981-2022, 2010.
L. Issa, I. Lakkis. Reduced order models of low Mach number isothermal flows in micro-channels. Proceedings of ICNMM2013 the ASME 2013 11th International Conference on Nanochannels, Microchannels, and Minichannels June 16-19, 2013, Sapporo, Japan.
- L. Issa, J. Brajard, Milad Fakhri, Laurent Mortier, Pierre-Marie Poulain. Modeling Surface Cur- rents in the Eastern Levantine Mediterranean. EGU General Assembly Conference, Apr 2015, Vienna, Austria. 17.
- L. Borcea, L. Issa, C.Tsogka and E. Karasmani. Multiple source localization in random acoustic waveguides (Part II), Franco-German Summer School Inverse Problems and Partial Differential Equations, University of Bremen, Bremen, Germany 7-11 October, 2013.
- L. Borcea, L. Issa, C.Tsogka and E. Karasmani. Multiple source localization in random acoustic waveguides, Waves and imaging in complex media, Heraklion, Crete, June 2012.
- PhD in Computational and Applied Mathematics (CAAM), Rice University.
- MA in Mathematics, University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- BA in Mathematics (High Distinction), Statistics minor, American University of Beirut.
Associate Professor of Mathematics