Danielle Azar is an associate professor of Computer Science in the Department of Computer Science and Mathematics at the Lebanese American University. She is also the chairperson of the department. Dr. Azar joined LAU as an assistant professor in 2004 after earning a Ph.D. in Computer Science from McGill University in Canada.
Her research interests lie in the fields of machine learning, meta-heuristics, artificial intelligence, predictive and classification models, optimization and search-based software engineering.
She has been teaching courses in Object-Oriented Programming, Heuristics, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Theoretical Computer Science, Software Engineering, Operating Systems, Algorithms and Data Structures among others both at the graduate and undergraduate levels.
Refereed international journals:
- Christian Salem, Danielle Azar, Sima Tokajian, An Image Processing and Genetic Algorithm-Based Approach for the Detection of Melanoma in Patients. To Appear in Methods of Information in Medicine, 2018.
- Rebecca Moussa and Danielle Azar, A PSO-GA approach targeting fault-prone modules. In Journal of Systems and Software, Volume 132, Pages 41-49, October 2017.
- Danielle Azar, Karl Fayad and Charbel Daoud, A Combined Ant Colony Optimization and Simulated Annealing Algorithm to Assess Stability and Fault-Proneness of Classes Based on Internal Software Quality Attributes. In International Journal of Artificial Intelligence, Vol. 14, Number 2, October 2016.
- D. Azar, M. Bitar. AI-Based Methods for Predicting Required Insulin Doses for Diabetic Patients. In International Journal of Artificial Intelligence, Vol. 13, Issue 1, pp. 8-24, March 2015.
- D. Azar, J. Vybihal. An Ant Colony Optimization Algorithm to Improve Software Quality Predictive Models. In Journal of Information and Software Technology, Vol. 53, Issue 4, pp. 388-393, April 2011.
- Danielle Azar, A Genetic Algorithm for Improving Accuracy of Software Quality Predictive Models: A Search-based Software Engineering Approach. In International Journal of Computational Intelligence and Applications, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 125-136, Imperial College Press, June, 2010.
- D. Azar, H. Harmanani, R. Korkmaz, Predicting the Stability of Classes in an Object-Oriented System in Journal of Computational Methods in Science and Engineering (JCMSE), Vo. 10, Nos. 1, 2, IOS Press, Netherlands, 2010.
- D. Azar, H. Harmanani, R. Korkmaz, A Hybrid Heuristic to Optimize Software Quality Estimation Models. In Journal of Information and Software Technology, Elsevier, ed., Vol. 51, No.9. pp. 1365-1376, Elsevier Science, September 2009.
- Bouktif,S., Sahraoui, H., Kégl, B., Azar,D., Precup. D. Improving Rule Set Based Software Quality Prediction: A Genetic Algorithm- Based Approach. In the Journal of Object Technology, Vol. 3, No. 3, April 2004.
- R. Moussa, F. Gerges, C. Salem, R. Akiki, O. Falou, D. Azar, Computer-aided detection of Melanoma using geometric features In Third Middle East Conference on Biomedical Engineering, 6-7, Oct 2016, Beirut , Lebanon.
- H. Harmanani, D. Azar, G. Zgheib, D. Kozhaya, An Ant Colony Optimization Heuristic to Optimize Prediction of Stability of Object-Oriented Components. In the Proceedings of the 16th IEEE International Conference on Information Reuse and Integration, August 2015.
- D. Azar, H. Harmanani, Heuristic Approaches For Optimizing the Performance of Rule-Based Classifiers. In Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Information Reuse and Integration, IRI 2011, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, 3-5 August 2011.
- H. Harmanani, D. Azar, N. Helal, A Simulated Annealing Algorithm for The Capacitated Vehicle Routing Problem. Accepted in ISCA 26th International Conference on Computers and Their Applications (CATA), New Orleans, USA, March 2011.
- D. Azar, H. Harmanani, R. Korkmaz, A Hybrid Heuristic to Optimize Software Quality Estimation Models. In The 18th International Conference on Software Engineering and Data Engineering (SEDE 2009). Las Vegas, June 22- 24, 2009.
- Izadi Tabaeh, M., Precup D., Azar, D. Design and Analysis of Belief Selection in Point-Based POMDP Approximation. In The 19th Canadian Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Quebec City, Canada, June 2006.
J. Vybihal, D. Azar Software Systems, 2011. Kendall-Hunt Pub.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science,2004, McGill University, Canada.
- M.S. in Computer Science, Lebanese American University.
- B.S. in Computer Science, Lebanese American University.
Associate Professor of Computer Science
Chair, Department of Computer Science and Mathematics
Office: Block A, Room 806