LAU Summer Camps
At the chemistry lab, campers were deep in their project of creating aspirin
Physics enthusiasts huddled in the lab to observe light and colors using spectroscopy, among other experiments
Computer Science campers learned Java and Android application development
Summer time is all about fun and learning at LAU!
The School of Arts and Sciences at the Lebanese American University is organizing its annual summer camps from July 1 to July 5 for high school students.
The camps consist of short courses that introduce students to university level education in:
- Physics (Beirut and Byblos): The camp is ideal for students interested in learning more about our universe. The camp consists of interactive lectures, demonstrations, and laboratory experiments. It will introduce students to topics such as mechanics, sound, waves, electricity, magnetism, relativity, and quantum physics.
- Chemistry (Beirut and Byblos): The camp is ideal for students interested in learning more about natural sciences. It provides an emphasis on hands-on laboratory experiments, advanced chemical instrumentation, presentation of the broad fields of organic, inorganic, analytical and physical chemistry and their applications in medicine, pharmaceutics, industries, education and scientific research.
- Nutrition (Beirut and Byblos): The camp is ideal for students interested in learning more about the link between food and health. It consists of interactive lectures, movie screenings, talks by prominent professionals in the field, and laboratory experiments.
- Computer Science (Beirut and Byblos): The camp introduces students to Java programming and mobile development.
- Arabic Creative Writing (Beirut): The camp aims to improve the students’ Arabic creative writing skills.
- Philosophy (Beirut): The philosophy camp focuses on how to think philosophically about various issues we confront in life. It introduces students to reasoning and writing philosophically.
- Translation (Beirut): The camp will train high schoolers in the translation of business, journalistic, legal, and medical texts as well as initiating them in the translation of audiovisual material.
- English Creative Writing (Beirut): The camp exposes young writers to the art and craft of creative writing. It includes seminars designed to foster an appreciation of literary works, and workshops designed to develop and refine personal writings.
- English Speech Writing (Beirut): The camp focuses on speechwriting skills, a part of the English department’s BA program in English, which also emphasizes professional writing. It teaches students how to write better, express their ideas more effectively, and feel more confident in expressing themselves creatively.
Prizes for the best five projects in each camp include scholarships to LAU.
The summer camps are free of charge.
Deadline to apply was June 11, 2019