Student Affairs Council Awards
The School of Arts and Sciences currently selects the following award winners.
Torch Award: Given by each School to a graduating student who demonstrates high leadership skills and a spirit of service.
President’s Award: Given by each school to a graduating student with High Distinction, who also demonstrates high-caliber leadership traits, exemplified by extracurricular activities both on and off campus.
In 2014, these awards were given to the following SAS graduates.
Torch Award: Diala Issam Al-Masri [B.A. in Political Science and International Affairs with a Minor in Economics]
Diala was an exemplary student at LAU and a valuable member of her community, both on campus and beyond. She was a member of a number of councils and served as:
- Intern at the Daily Star Newspaper
- Member of the United States Embassy Youth Advisory Council
- Founder and Manager of AIM LAA Conference
- Project Manager Assistant at UNESCO
- Assistant to the Director of Operations at World Youth Alliance
- Intern at World Youth Alliance Middle East
- Trainer at Global Classrooms Lebanese American University Model United Nations
President’s Award: Sarah Hussein Abou Alaiwi [ B.S. in Biology with a Minor in Chemistry]
As a pre-med student at LAU, Sarah was able to maintain a high GPA while working and volunteering in a number of student-centered and community activities. She served as:
- Assistant in the Legal Counsel office at LAU
- Tutor of Biology and pre-Pharmacy courses
- Volunteer with Intaliqi at the Beirut Marathon
- Volunteer with LAU’s Outreach and Civic Engagement office
- Student organizer at TEDxLAU
- Coordinator of the microbiology research team
- Founding member/Treasurer and later president of the LAU Premed Club